Illness, Health & Nutrition • If eating...not bloat?

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderators: Robin, GTZ

If eating...not bloat?

Postby Bevo5 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:05 pm

So noticed two of my Mobas look like they swallowed golf balls sometime during the last couple days. I noticed one was looking a little plump yesterday but didn't think much of it.

Thing is - last time I fed them, everyone seemed to eat.

I put the bloated guys in a quarantine tank and will start clout treatment tomorrow when I can go get the meds. In the morning I will try an feed a few pellets and see what happens. I read the sticky article and seems like once they get this huge it's a lost cause...

My question is this - if they are eating just fine then what else could be causing the huge bellies? And is clout a bad idea if they don't have bloat?

I am also treating the entire main tank just to be sure, but again - they eat like crazy.

Thanks for any advice.
Bevo5

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby GTZ » Wed May 02, 2012 11:39 pm

Unlikely that a fish with bloat will eat, not eating is usually one of the first signs.
What are you feeding? Pics?
Try some epsom salt for the 'Golf balls' and if they're quarantined, fast for 3-7 days. Check the Bloat article linked below for details.
There could be a digestive obstruction of some kind, however unlikely with 2 fish at the same time.
75G L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.) | Ps. demasoni | Met. greshakei
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby Bevo5 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:16 am

I'll get some pics tonight. I'm now trying to find some clout in NYC but none of the big box stores carry it. I ordered a bunch from Jehmco but wont be here until tomorrow.

I feed Dainichi, and have been for about 4 months with no problems. The two with obvious bloated stomachs didn't eat this morning so I'm guessing it's bloat. I did a light feeding in the main tank just to see what was what and everyone seemed to eat. hard to keep track of 10 mobas.

At this point the two in the quarantine tank are in rough shape but I want to treat the main tank just to make sure it doesn't spread.
Bevo5

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition