Lake Tanganyika Species • Neolamprologus pulcher aka Daffodil Cichlid

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

Neolamprologus pulcher aka Daffodil Cichlid

Postby Thanusan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:26 pm

I got these Neolamprologus pulcher aka Daffodil Cichlid from a friend. they look wired to me, looks chubby. do you think this is normal??? this is how they look like? body shape?

Thank you
shawn
Thanusan

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Vamze » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:00 pm

They look like they are just in a remarkably good condition.
720 liter Tanganyika tank.
60 liter Apistogramma Cacatuoides (one pair) tank.
Vamze

Postby 24Tropheus » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:46 pm

The fins do look bigger than on the ones I see. I wonder has someone been line breeding them for larger fins? Would be hard I think but not impossible.

All the best James
Tanks 180, empty revamping 100,65,60g Tropheus/tang communities 75g revamping. 29gx3 shelly communities, 29g Trigs breeding. 20gx2 shelly tanks. BCA member 207. Try it you might like it.
24Tropheus

Postby Thanusan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:24 pm

the body looks chubby, some kind of look like parrot fish. ya fins are nice. body sup to look long.. let me try to get more pic...
Thanusan

more pic

Postby Thanusan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:23 pm

Thanusan

Postby olliesshop » Tue May 01, 2012 8:22 am

From my humble opinion they generally look wonderful, with the one exception of the fish hanging vertical, which looks a little Chubby (as in taller than normal).

I've been breeding Neolamprologus Brichardi for about 1 1/2 years now and I have 3 fish (out of the hundred or so I have now) that have deformities of different types. One of the deformed ones I have looks taller, like the one I mentioned above, except much "taller".

You can watch my videos to see what mine look like. I try to put an update on YouTube about once a month and/or when I have a new batch of fry (BTW, I've had about 10 batches since December 2010).

I hope this helps and all the best !!! :)
Tim
Species Neolamprologus Brichardi tank - 125g
Pictures - http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Other/Bik ... 0989_tpCny
Video updates ... http://www.youtube.com/user/olliesshop?feature=mhee
olliesshop

Postby Fogelhund » Tue May 01, 2012 11:32 am

These fish have shortened bodies, and in my opinion are deformed. This is either a genetic issue, or a water quality issue. They have nice finnage and good colour though, but the bodies are not the correct length. I might be willing to try and breed these, and see what their fry look like, to determine if it is genetics, or water parameters where they were raised... they look like a nice strain other than the short bodies.
Fogelhund

Postby prov356 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:14 pm

They look line bred to me. Looks like they were also trying to breed out any/all dark lines and markings.
prov356

Postby Thanusan » Tue May 01, 2012 6:00 pm

these fishes are from a friend, he got trio from big als. Now they breeded and 20-30 adults.He move to a different city, so i picked up all these for free, some look wired to me, some are perfect. He sold the trio parents long time ago. I dont know what to do with these..
Thanusan

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species