Equipment & Supplies • Leaking filter!!!!

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby Jack and Pete » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:53 am

Ok... I left the canister open and on the counter. I didn’t have an air stone. I m going to pick up plumbers grease at lunch and get this done after work. I did not have an air stone... but I had read about power outages on the forum and it said it was best to open canister. Once we get the O rings taken care of what should I do with the filter? Just Plug it in or change water/rinse media then plug it in? (I did change water and rinse media yesterday)

I can't thank you all enough for the super fast answers!!!! I don't think I would be able to have my fish without the forum, you guys are all great to share your knowledge!
Jack and Pete

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby zquattrucci » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:16 am

my filter started about 6 mounts ago just have a large air stone it works none are dead yet still going to tey the plumbers grease
zquattrucci

Postby areuben » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:26 am

plug the filter in and let it run - see if it is still leaking - often the leak will happen when the filter is shut down but when the filter is running the pressure through the filter will keep the gasket from leaking and not leak if the lgasket damage is minimal - still keep it in a bucket though
areuben

Postby zquattrucci » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:30 am

i have tryed that my ehium just gos more lol it is tarrably help i have taken the seals out i have no grease what can i do like to get it going again i loved my canaster
zquattrucci

Postby zquattrucci » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:50 pm

my filter does not seam to be leakin any longer cleand all the o rings and put it in a rubber tot leaked a little at first but has stoped am keeping an eye on it will update later
zquattrucci

Postby lucid_eye » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:38 pm

I have several xp filter and have had similar issues. When this happens the first thing I do is check the hoses. If they are tight or have any strain on them at all they will leak at the quick disconnect. This water builds up in the motor housing and drips from where the power cold enters the housing. Make sure that there is slack in both lines and if it still leaks I would buy the seal kit and replace everything. I keep two of these on hand so that I am ready when they decide to leak.
lucid_eye

Postby Jack and Pete » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:22 pm

Ok… Went to Lowe’s at lunch and purchased Gunk Plumbers silicone grease, water proof, heat proof, non toxic and non staining. Came home after work and we got to it, fish were fine!! Applied plumbers grease to all O rings as instructed (thanks GTZ!) took extra time on the disconnect! Its been 2 hours so far so good!! I did forget to pick up a water alarm which I will still look into. Thanks everyone (cant list all as so many responded) for all the responses I would have been buying a new filter!!!! I will update again in 24 hours. =D>
Jack and Pete

Postby GTZ » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:40 pm

:thumb: I have a water alarm behind my FX5 (DIY 1" hose for spraybar) and I sleep well knowing that it's there ;)
You may still want to have the seal kit on hand if you run into the same problem at some point but for now I'm glad to hear that it's working properly. 8)
75G L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.) | Ps. demasoni | Met. greshakei
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby Jack and Pete » Tue May 01, 2012 9:00 pm

24 hours and no water, no leaks!!!! :thumb: I am a happy girl with happy fish!!!
Jack and Pete

Postby quentin8 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:53 pm

:dancing:
quentin8

Postby magic10 » Wed May 02, 2012 7:14 am

believe it or not the aquatop cf500uv..i had my doubts this is a very good filter..he pumps 535gph and up to 175 gal tank..comes with 4 media trays also..
magic10

Postby Jack and Pete » Wed May 02, 2012 7:38 pm

Ok...came home...no water...did water change and its leaking again...lucky me...I get to play with plumbers grease because I m home alone!! Layed it on thick ...lets see what happens!!!Nothing could be that easy!!!!
Jack and Pete

Postby zquattrucci » Wed May 02, 2012 7:47 pm

mine is also doing well put the tub under just in case :dancing:
zquattrucci

Postby GTZ » Wed May 02, 2012 11:14 pm

GTZ wrote:You may still want to have the seal kit on hand if you run into the same problem at some point but for now I'm glad to hear that it's working properly. 8)

;)
75G L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.) | Ps. demasoni | Met. greshakei
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Previous

Return to Equipment & Supplies