Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Setting up my 240 gallon, step by step

29K views 212 replies 31 participants last post by  Super Turtleman 
#1 ·
Here is the story.
I got this beauty at a price I could not pass, the day I was to pick it up I hired movers, since the tank empty and by it self it's 400 pounds..... the movers came...6 hours late, it was raining cats and dogs...when they saw the tank they just said...no, we can't do it...turn around and left.
The gentleman that sold me the tank was perplexed to said the least, I was about to have a heart attack!!!!
Next day a guy at my church saved the day along with his two sons, he came with his truck and pick up the tank for me, delivered it to my house....
here is a picture of the tank finally at my husband's home office.

More to come

See less See more
#127 ·
All nature work...trust me, I had nothing to do with. It..LOL

#129 ·
More than a 100...I think there are about 150 cardinals, 15 diamonds, 18 glow eye and 15 glow light, I also have like 20 harlequin rasboras...so the babies are all silver...here is a picture, can you tell me what are they?

#130 ·
They are tiny and you can hardly see them between the plants, so there might be more in there...I never expected this....this is great, I am excited and looking forward to know what are they.
A little bit of history....the diamonds where kind of fisty not to long ago hanging out in the middle of a seccion where there are heavy plants, one male in special was very colorful, displaying his purple fins and chasing everyone around....
Then another day the lamp eye ones where doing the same thing, chasing each other, i though they were fighting....

The cardinals stick together but at times there are two separate groups, they like to hang out where there is dense vegetation ....and the glow light.....I don't know about those guys, they don't follow any pattern.
Any how, I will have to see if anyone will survive the life in the community tank, so far I don't see the adults chasing them and they are swimming around from one plant to the other. so maybe there is hope

#131 ·
gratz on the babies and the discus! if you plan to keep the babies keep the discus out of the tank THEY WILL EAT THEM lol my have eaten 2 inch rosboras before lol i started out with about 25 and currently i have 15 lol they only been in the tank for 2 months

#133 ·
I don't know what is really going on in that tank...today the cories Julii where spaning....and the cardinals where having some kind of chase then let's us get together in that plant kind of deal..I am guessing that they are really happy in the tank otherwise no babies...
So what I am thinking is to move the babies to the holding tank once I get the discus in the main tank, that might give them a better chance.

#134 ·
just because they spawn doesnt mean theyre happy ;). but yea move the babies over once you put the discus in.

im as excited as you are since im getting another shipment in today =]

#135 ·
What are you going to receive?

#137 ·
We need pictures ASAP :popcorn:

#139 ·
You have to keep them in the dark? How much time? I idn't know that!

#141 ·
That makes sense...so you keep them lights off for a couple of days?

#142 ·
Just for the first day. Sometimes I leave the lights on it all depends how the fish are doing during acclimation. If they're not stress from the flight I leave the lights on if they're a bit skittish I turn it off just to help them cope.

Leaving the lights on wont cause them to die or anything, it might just stress them out more and as we know stress leads to illness.

Hope that makes sense

#143 ·
Well I got mine too. 5 to start with.

2 high fin blue diamond
2 red ring leopard skin
1 turquoise striated red

They been hiding in the back of the tank, I had them in a quarantine tank for about a week an a half, they seem good so I pass them to the big tank, at first they just went to the back and hide, all but one leopard and a blue diamond, they keep coming forward to check on me and if I was going to feed them. Then when I started to pull out plants to do my water change they loose the shame and they were all over the tank, I took some pictures I need to download, so you can tell me what you think.
I like them a lot....4+ inches all except one leopard that is a bit smaller.
They are all eating good. I think that is a good sign.

#144 ·
if theyre eating good thats a good sign. fish will hide once theyre netted and move to a different tank. they should be fine after a while. mine 6" penang was hiding when i transfered him from one tank to other but once he settled down it goes right back to pigging out lol

look forward to the pictures lol i too have pictures i took that needs to be uploaded lol

#145 ·
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fish:

I check back on this thread waiting for the Discus lol. I have a 125 that I already have set up and some mbuna for... after following this thread (and your tank!) I think when I change it up, Im going to attempt discus.

I could certainly use tons of pictures (from both of you!) :popcorn:

#148 ·
Promise...as soon as I make it home from work today.

#151 ·
Here they are, the fantastic 5...

[imghttp://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj590/Shahlvah/2012-05-03190505.jpg[/img]

I have tons more, but I guess you got the general idea....LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.