Lake Tanganyika Species • 55 gal. suggested fish for peaceful tank

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

55 gal. suggested fish for peaceful tank

Postby Juanita Smith » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:59 pm

It was suggested to me that tangs would be less agressive then my previouse expierence with Peacocks. Any suggestions on which fish, how many for my 55 that will get along and give plenty space for everyone, that are easy to care for and not be skiddish or hide when people and children are close to tank. My tank is in small living room where there is plenty of activity and the kids love to get up close to tank. Thanks.
Juanita Smith

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby 24Tropheus » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:23 pm

Need to know the dimentions of the 55g.
The fish mix depends on this.

All the best James
Tanks 180, empty revamping 100,65,60g Tropheus/tang communities 75g revamping. 29gx3 shelly communities, 29g Trigs breeding. 20gx2 shelly tanks. BCA member 207. Try it you might like it.
24Tropheus

Re: 55 gal. suggested fish for peaceful tank

Postby Darkside » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:11 am

Juanita Smith wrote:It was suggested to me that tangs would be less agressive then my previouse expierence with Peacocks. Any suggestions on which fish, how many for my 55 that will get along and give plenty space for everyone, that are easy to care for and not be skiddish or hide when people and children are close to tank. My tank is in small living room where there is plenty of activity and the kids love to get up close to tank. Thanks.

IMO Tangs are just as aggressive as most peacocks. If you have a standard 4' 55 gallon you can do some non jumbo cyprichromis, a shell dweller (multies are my favourites) and a rock dweller (Altolamprologus, Julidochromis, etc.). Pick a fish you like and build around said fish.
Darkside

Postby dubghod » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:55 am

If you arent interested in breeding you could keep a small group of Synodontis Lucipinnis in that tank, with a pair of small Julies + some shellies + cyps.

Some may argue you should keep to 3 species but I would try and pull this off!
dubghod

Postby DJRansome » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:23 am

Cyps are definitely skittish, I'd avoid those.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome

Postby 24Tropheus » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:58 am

Not skittish and peaceful and only mildly aggressive at most and small enough for a 55g to have a community, a very hard combination to find.
Young Aulonocranus dewindti but realy need a bigger tank to get the best of them.

Most Xenos are skittish too.
So are Paracyps and Altolamps.

Lamprologus' calliurus as the shelly perhaps?
a Callochromis?
and a Chalinochromis?

You know I think I am going to fail to come up with a easy to get community that satisfies none skittish, not aggressive and 55g compatable. Mind you still do not know the shape of the tank. If its only 40" or 36" long its going to be even harder.

Love multies and Julies to bits but they are hardly peaceful cichlids just small.

All the best James
Last edited by 24Tropheus on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tanks 180, empty revamping 100,65,60g Tropheus/tang communities 75g revamping. 29gx3 shelly communities, 29g Trigs breeding. 20gx2 shelly tanks. BCA member 207. Try it you might like it.
24Tropheus

Postby lufbramatt » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:59 am

you could do a pair of shellies, some small julies, a single compressiceps and some dwarf synodontis catfish. You'll have the occasional stand off as they defend their territories but thats what makes these fish interesting, otherwise you may as well have a tank of neon tetras . . . ;) IME even syno. lucipinnis can be quite rough with each other, especially if they're not exactly matched in size the small ones can get beat up pretty bad.

Watching my compressiceps steadfastly stand his ground against a male brevis, all coloured up with all its fins flared is superb to watch :)
lufbramatt

Postby Floridagirl » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:09 pm

My Aulonocranus Dewindti are the most skittish fish I have ever owned. The only time I have gotten to watch them is when I had them crowded in with Tropheus and Petrochromis. They are in a 120 with Julies, Aul. Comps, and Syno Multis, and all they do is hide in the rocks!
Too many fish to choose from, too few tanks!
Floridagirl

Postby 24Tropheus » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:02 pm

I guess we are left with saying try some more peacful smaller Aulonocara or even some Lethrinops species for your tank with pretty much no rocks so they have to get used to being out in the open.
For sure you can do a great Tang community in a 55g but it will also have to have small fish that are quite aggressive to avoid all skittish ones.

All the best James
24Tropheus

Postby Razzo » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:21 pm

Nothing skittish about some F1 altolamps. There might be a little stress as they work out their pecking order but not too bad once they do. You could do "males only" from several different altolamp species (I've had that work out before where the males ended up being best buds). 6 to 8 altos in a 55 as your main species. Then pick a couple others to compliment them.

Syno cats for starters.

Russ
Recovering frontosa breeder (I have had a relapse)
Razzo

Postby 24Tropheus » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:41 pm

Razzo wrote:Nothing skittish about some F1 altolamps. There might be a little stress as they work out their pecking order but not too bad once they do. You could do "males only" from several different altolamp species (I've had that work out before where the males ended up being best buds). 6 to 8 altos in a 55 as your main species. Then pick a couple others to compliment them.

Syno cats for starters.

Russ

Yep my F1 Goldheads are as bold as brass (unlike the WC they are from) but they do argue a lot but not serious aggression. Good idea. Same I guess for other TB Altolamps 8)

Just add a pair of calliurus (the most peaceful but big shelly male is bold female shell loving but interesting) and 5 or so Syno lucipinnis (usually sold as petricola) and its a great interesting tank.

Only minor complaint is not that much colour but interest in abunadance.

Make sure you have a tight fitting lid. Lost some Altos to jumping out of the tinyiest gaps. Strange as they do not look like jumpers I know.

All the best James
24Tropheus

Postby Razzo » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:11 pm

24Tropheus wrote:Yep my F1 Goldheads are as bold as brass (unlike the WC they are from) but they do argue a lot but not serious aggression. Good idea. Same I guess for other TB Altolamps 8)

Hey James,

My wild calvus can be very shy but their fry - not at all. My wild Muzi gold head comps - not shy in the least (always begging for attention). I think the stress in my altolamp tanks are/is actually entertaining (granted, nobody is being stressed to death). Just a lot of very interesting interactions; which, is one of the biggest reasons all of us claim to love Tangs anyways - right?

I am working on a new 180 gallon tank that will feature C. gibberosa Mikula, and several of my altolamp fry that I have been growing out from several different species (Muzi gold head & orange fin comps and calvus bcwp). I have the synocats too. Just need the tank :lol: My only problem getting the new tank is a new $1,200 lens for my canon that I have been saving for :lol: Well, the Mikula fry have up to a year in my 72 before they need 2 more feet in tank length. Vibrant Zaire blues on the Mikula gibbs, gold & rust on the gold head comps, and the monochromatic pearls & stripes on my calvus bcwp (can't wait :D ).

The frontosa gave me an idea for the OP - what about one male tret in that 55???

Russ
Recovering frontosa breeder (I have had a relapse)
Razzo

Postby DJRansome » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:45 pm

When I had a single tret, he hid all the time except at feeding time.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome

Postby 24Tropheus » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:05 pm

Sorry C. gibberosa leave me cold. I dunno why. Just one of those things, some think Tropheus borring yet I find them endlessly interesting. Agree about older single Neolamprologus tretocephalus, very secretive. Young can be bold in groups but then you risk em pairing and killing stuff later, even Altolamps. Only realy good as a short term addition.

All the best James
24Tropheus

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species