Equipment & Supplies • actual GPH of a fluval FX5

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby jd lover » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:50 am

if you dont understand the ratings and such you dont understand how bb works.

this isnt just with fx its with all filter the rating is UP to 400g and yes it can handle a 400g tank with minimum stockbut guess what? it still handles it so theyre not lying. you can chose a filter base on the rating. #%$& you can put an fx5 on a 40g stock with 10 10" oscars and it wont even be enough even though you divided the rating by 10.

alot factors into what kind of filtration you need. #%$& i can run a single sponge filter on my 125 and get away with it. when choosing the filter(s) you have to consider your stocking level, your water change routine, how much you feed. theres so much to consider that the rating is only a guideline and only YOU know what will work on YOUR tank.
no medicine works better than clean water.
no such thing as too much clean water, so go do a water change now.
jd lover

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby jd lover » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:02 pm

countryboy814 wrote:*Note: Flow rates were measured with intake and output hoses of the same length and without media.
Without Media....expensive circulation pump. I have an fx5 and was sucked in (no pun intended) by the gph figures. Needless, I was disapointed. That being said, they are fine canisters. However I recently bought an Aquatop CF-500 and am just as happy with that at much less money.

"Product Description
The AQUATOP CF-500UV Canister Filter is a 4+1 filtration system that includes four media trays and an integrated UV sterilizer bulb to eradicate algae spores and harmful bacteria. This quiet and extremely efficient canister filter includes a built-in UV sterilizer and is capable of handling up to 525 gallons per hour. Four flexible media trays allow you to add the media of your choice and the CF-500 includes a convenient self-priming pump that eliminates manual siphoning."

in other words the 525 gph is MAX it can pump and thats assuming its completely empty and only under correct circumstances. i doubt it pumps 525 gph when fill with media.
jd lover

Postby countryboy814 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:12 pm

That's about right. fx5, 900 rated pump, 600 rated with no media, probably 300 with fresh clean filter media. I don't know but likely the same for all canisters.
countryboy814

Postby jd lover » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:15 pm

countryboy814 wrote:That's about right. fx5, 900 rated pump, 600 rated with no media, probably 300 with fresh clean filter media. I don't know but likely the same for all canisters.

i doubt its only 300 with clean media

if thats the case then your aquastop is 525 as pump 300 with no media and probably 100 will clean media if we were to compare it against the fx5

edit:

aquastop cf500 $130 rated for up to 175g tank

fx5 $250 rated for up to 400g tank

no brainer
jd lover

Previous

Return to Equipment & Supplies