Equipment & Supplies • 125 broken brace

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

125 broken brace

Postby sandandrocks » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:50 pm

I have a 125 with 2 braces, however, 1 is broken. The other one is in tack perfectly. Is this a serious worry or is it ok? Will upload photo later.
sandandrocks

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby sandandrocks » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:51 pm

Would the aquarium cave inward or would it cave outward if the aquarium fails?
sandandrocks

Postby JAyliffe » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:01 pm

I would expect if it failed due to a broken brace that it would cave outwards, weight of water and all.
250G Malawi Male
Mbuna Afra Cobue, P Elongatus, Albino, OB
Haps Borleyi, Moori, Taeniolatus, Fryeri, Ovatus, Taiwan Reef, Insignius, Intermedius, Venustus, Fusco, Livingstonii, Rhoadesii, Mloto
Peacocks OB Peacock, Lemon Jake, Rubescens, Dragon Blood
JAyliffe

Postby ryencok3 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:46 pm

ya if it were to fail it would fail outwards. All the glass to the floor along with the water, fish, and whatever else you have in there
ryencok3

Postby sandandrocks » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:12 pm

Here are photos of it. I measured the bowling to be 1/2 inch. Is this a serious concern and should i get it fixed ASAP or could it wait a few months?

sandandrocks

Postby ryencok3 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:58 pm

it looks like it is already bowing which is a HUGE concern especially since you have water in there!! I would get a new one right away. Talk to a local glass company, they may be able to help you
ryencok3

Postby Mr.Dempsey » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:38 pm

Just glue it back together useing a strong epoxy glue and sandwitch together useing picees of plastic that will cover at least 4'' on either side of the crack.
Too many fish, to little space.
Mr.Dempsey

Postby sandandrocks » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:43 pm

Mr.Dempsey wrote:Just glue it back together useing a strong epoxy glue and sandwitch together useing picees of plastic that will cover at least 4'' on either side of the crack.

Is there a DIY for this. I'd love to see the article/thread.
sandandrocks

Postby BillD » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:19 am

I personally wouldn't trust glue, epoxy or otherwise to hold it. It seems because of the location of the break that you could add a brace piece or even two , as in the diagram and use small stainless bolts and nuts to repair. A bar or pipe clamp would allow you to gently get it back to original dimension before attaching the brace.
BillD

Postby sandandrocks » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:31 am

This might be a stretch but i was thinking about duck taping the entire brace together. Similar to Mr.Dempsey's idea.
sandandrocks

Postby lucid_eye » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:22 pm

I wouldn't use duct tape, I would drain the water as low as possible pull the gap shut as BillD described with a wood clamp, and bolt it back together with new pieces sandwiching the broken one. And I would slather it with epoxy before bolting. You cant over reinforce this brace, and its just not worth the possible consequences if you half ass it. The second brace is under extreme strain and if it fails there will be a catastrophic failure.
lucid_eye

Return to Equipment & Supplies