Aquarium Setup • Setting up my 240 gallon, step by step

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

Postby jd lover » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:42 pm

such a nice tank to besitting with just lame tetra
no medicine works better than clean water.
no such thing as too much clean water, so go do a water change now.
jd lover

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Shahlvah » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:46 am

I am in OH until Tuesday.....nothing I can do for now...wait till I get b[/url]ack...
Shahlvah

Postby lilcountrygal » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:19 pm

I watch this thread closely waiting for Discus. Really, such a crappy time for a trip to Ohio :lol:
55 G - AC110 and AquaTech 30/60 ~ 5 yellow Labs, 5 Callainos, 5 Callainos Blueberry, 5 Rusty
125 G - XP4 and AquaTop CF-500UV - 5 Pseudotropheus Williamsi North, 5 Labeotropheus Fuelleborni, 4 Lab. Hongi, 4 C. Moori, 1 Acei Ngara, Red Empress, Venustus
lilcountrygal

Postby Shahlvah » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:30 pm

Ay.....I am so sorry. It won't happen again in the near future....I hope
Shahlvah

Postby Shahlvah » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:58 am

Well, some news here....my tetras are having babies in my 240g tank, who"s babies? Only God knows, but yesterday when I removed all the plants to clean the tank....babies....babies....babies...like 20 of them, so I hurry in washing the plants so they can hide again....I think they might be like a week or two old because there is no sac and they are free swimming. I hope they are cardinals but I suspect they are diamonds....
Since I have the discus in a smaller holding tank tank my question is...will the discus eat the babies when I put them in the big tank?
Shahlvah

Postby shocker123 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:45 am

WOW, tetra's are really hard to breed! I was never able to get any of them to breed!
shocker123

Postby Shahlvah » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:28 am

All nature work...trust me, I had nothing to do with. It..LOL
Shahlvah

Postby Jayse » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:22 am

Yeah, I could never get my lame 10 tetras to breed either... but I believe she has what a 100? Pretty good chances on a breeding with that many!! Good job! :popcorn:
112g- Dry and empty
55g - Currently setting up
40g - Yellow Tail Acei
10g - Hospital tank
Jayse

Postby Shahlvah » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:11 am

More than a 100...I think there are about 150 cardinals, 15 diamonds, 18 glow eye and 15 glow light, I also have like 20 harlequin rasboras...so the babies are all silver...here is a picture, can you tell me what are they?

Shahlvah

Postby Shahlvah » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:23 am

They are tiny and you can hardly see them between the plants, so there might be more in there...I never expected this....this is great, I am excited and looking forward to know what are they.
A little bit of history....the diamonds where kind of fisty not to long ago hanging out in the middle of a seccion where there are heavy plants, one male in special was very colorful, displaying his purple fins and chasing everyone around....
Then another day the lamp eye ones where doing the same thing, chasing each other, i though they were fighting....

The cardinals stick together but at times there are two separate groups, they like to hang out where there is dense vegetation ....and the glow light.....I don't know about those guys, they don't follow any pattern.
Any how, I will have to see if anyone will survive the life in the community tank, so far I don't see the adults chasing them and they are swimming around from one plant to the other. so maybe there is hope
Shahlvah

Postby jd lover » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:29 pm

gratz on the babies and the discus! if you plan to keep the babies keep the discus out of the tank THEY WILL EAT THEM lol my have eaten 2 inch rosboras before lol i started out with about 25 and currently i have 15 lol they only been in the tank for 2 months
jd lover

Postby dwarfpike » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:08 pm

It's starting to look like it's shape is moving towards being a diamond, but it's still too early to really tell.
dwarfpike

Postby Shahlvah » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:49 am

I don't know what is really going on in that tank...today the cories Julii where spaning....and the cardinals where having some kind of chase then let's us get together in that plant kind of deal..I am guessing that they are really happy in the tank otherwise no babies...
So what I am thinking is to move the babies to the holding tank once I get the discus in the main tank, that might give them a better chance.
Shahlvah

Postby jd lover » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:52 am

just because they spawn doesnt mean theyre happy ;). but yea move the babies over once you put the discus in.

im as excited as you are since im getting another shipment in today =]
jd lover

Postby Shahlvah » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:09 pm

What are you going to receive?
Shahlvah

PreviousNext

Return to Aquarium Setup