Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • Petco brand black sand....

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: notho2000, CjCichlid

Postby JAyliffe » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:34 pm

13razorbackfan wrote:
vann59 wrote:You did good

:thumb:

Of course the rocks will get some character, but that's only natural.
Yeah...they are already spitting the black sand all over the rocks..little buggers. I will have to wait to find out where they don't like to dig so I can get some live plants to put in those spots.

I have that problem with my sunken wood, the white coral sand keeps getting distributed over it by the mbuna.. interestingly my borleyi seems to think its food so he clears most of it back off when he's feeding!
250G Malawi Male
Mbuna Afra Cobue, P Elongatus, Albino, OB
Haps Borleyi, Moori, Taeniolatus, Fryeri, Ovatus, Taiwan Reef, Insignius, Intermedius, Venustus, Fusco, Livingstonii, Rhoadesii, Mloto
Peacocks OB Peacock, Lemon Jake, Rubescens, Dragon Blood
JAyliffe

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby 13razorbackfan » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:58 pm

JAyliffe wrote:
13razorbackfan wrote:

Yeah...they are already spitting the black sand all over the rocks..little buggers. I will have to wait to find out where they don't like to dig so I can get some live plants to put in those spots.

I have that problem with my sunken wood, the white coral sand keeps getting distributed over it by the mbuna.. interestingly my borleyi seems to think its food so he clears most of it back off when he's feeding!
Yeah...the sand is getting down inside all the holes in the rock. My problem with this is psychological....I have OCD so that exacerbates the issue. It jsut drives me crazy sometimes.
13razorbackfan

Postby JAyliffe » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:03 pm

13razorbackfan wrote:
JAyliffe wrote:
13razorbackfan wrote:

Yeah...the sand is getting down inside all the holes in the rock. My problem with this is psychological....I have OCD so that exacerbates the issue. It jsut drives me crazy sometimes.

Why do I see an excercise in rock painting somewhere in your future :lol:
250G Malawi Male
Mbuna Afra Cobue, P Elongatus, Albino, OB
Haps Borleyi, Moori, Taeniolatus, Fryeri, Ovatus, Taiwan Reef, Insignius, Intermedius, Venustus, Fusco, Livingstonii, Rhoadesii, Mloto
Peacocks OB Peacock, Lemon Jake, Rubescens, Dragon Blood
JAyliffe

Postby 13razorbackfan » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:10 pm

JAyliffe wrote:
13razorbackfan wrote:
JAyliffe wrote:
13razorbackfan wrote:

Why do I see an excercise in rock painting somewhere in your future :lol:
LOL...I would then move onto something else. If I listed the things I obsess over in regards to this hobby you would probably try and have me committed.
13razorbackfan

Postby cichlid85 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:31 am

Hi,

I set up a small 3 gallon desktop tank on thursday and used the black sand. It was not foggy at all in the water but alot of it floated to the top. Of course i was working with a small amount, maybe thats why it was clear. Glad it worked out for u!
Sent from verizon wireless phone
cichlid85

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:57 am

cichlid85 wrote:Hi,

I set up a small 3 gallon desktop tank on thursday and used the black sand. It was not foggy at all in the water but alot of it floated to the top. Of course i was working with a small amount, maybe thats why it was clear. Glad it worked out for u!
Yeah...my water is crystal clear. I think I was rubbing the sand together too hard in my vigorous approach to cleaning. I really like it a lot. The fish really pop. The orange and reds are amazing against the black.
13razorbackfan

Postby cichlid85 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:47 pm

13razorbackfan wrote:
cichlid85 wrote:Hi,

Yeah...my water is crystal clear. I think I was rubbing the sand together too hard in my vigorous approach to cleaning. I really like it a lot. The fish really pop. The orange and reds are amazing against the black.

I agree. I had a light sand in at first and i wasnt liking it for this tank. The black sand really does make the fish stand out. It makes the plants look brighter too in contrast.
Sent from verizon wireless phone
cichlid85

Previous

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)