Cichlid Fish Forum banner

cloudy water after first water change?

1K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  mamospreng 
#1 ·
Did the first water change on the new 75 gallon Monday and now the water is milky white.

My only guess is the buffer didn't dissolve our something?

Someone help it sucks to have new fish and milky water to look at them through.

G
#3 ·
I don't want to hijack your thread, but I'm having a similar problem in one of my new tanks as well.

It's a newly fishless cycling tank, this morning I went to work and it was clear. Now that I just got back from work, it's quite bit cloudy.

I'm hoping and guessing that it's a bacteria bloom? I haven't changed the water yet.

G
#5 ·
dsouthworth said:
I also had the same problem and I blamed the buffers. But two day's later i noticed a green tint to the water.
Double and triple check that it's green and not white. Green water is common with a new tank.
Should we just let it keep running for a few days or do like half a water change?

#6 ·
You may as well give it a few days to see what the water turns into (white/green). My tank started to turn white prior to green.

Hopefully this is just a bacteria bloom, because green water is a b*** to deal with. For me it wasn't and this weekend I'll be dropping $200 on a UV to fix my water.

G
#7 ·
So bacteria bloom is a good or bad thing? Bacteria bloom is just cloudy right? It makes me want to a water change to avoid this or is it gonna be happening again?

But green water is bad? What happens if it's green? Do a complete water change or is something really wrong?

#8 ·
Green water in an aquarium is caused by free-floating single celled green algae. Algae in an aquarium is nothing bad, but it sometimes can become an eye sore.

If it is white this could just be a disturbance in your beneficial bacteria. How long has the tank been set up? When a tank is set up, generally you should leave the filters alone for a few months for bacteria to establish in the system. This bloom should go away pretty quickly.

G
#11 ·
dsouthworth said:
phister said:
Oh I figured that green water is duded to algae. yea, it definitely is an eye sore.

The new tank has been up and running with the filters running for 6 days now.
If all parameter's are good, don't worry about what the water looks like for the first few months.
Thanks for your help.

The water parameters are good. It was just the sudden white cloudy water when i got home from work that scared the **** out of me cause when I left this morning it wasn't cloudy at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.