South American Cichlids • When do I seperate other fish from a newly paired Sajica?

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

When do I seperate other fish from a newly paired Sajica?

Postby aggriffin3 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:01 pm

I have (5) 1.5" Sajica's, actually I had 6 until one was killed today. A newly form pair of Sajica's are being aggressive towards the other remaining 3 Sajica's in a 40 gallon breeder. I have been waiting for a pair to form, and apparently one has in the last couple of days. Should I take the others out, or will the two pair do better spawning with the others in the tank?
One of the other males met his doom sometime today, as the dominant male is a tad larger with more dominant colors and a more aggressive nature. Even the paired female has a torn tail fin, but seems to follow him all around.
Is it better for spawning to leave the others in, or is it better to leave the two in a tank by themselves.
I even through my 3" Gt in today to see how he would do in this tank, and although he isnt being bullied that I have seen, I did find his tail to have a tear in it, when I checked on them tonight. My guess, doesnt matter how big, when a pair of Cichlids have bonded, look out all fish?

Thanks

Art
aggriffin3

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Return to South American Cichlids