Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • Texas holey rock bleaching...

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: CjCichlid, notho2000

Texas holey rock bleaching...

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:33 pm

My brother just gave me all his texas holey rock and I need to bleach it. It has algae on it that has been on there for years. It really has a good hold on the rock. I was reading that 1 part bleach to 10 part water should do it. I am worried that it may need to be a stronger dose.

Do you guys that have done this with success recommend I use more bleach to water? Hold long should I let it soak? 3-4 days?
13razorbackfan

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Woodworm » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:35 pm

A 10% solution should work just fine. I recommend at least 2 days worth of soaking and adding more bleach each day you have it soaking to make up for the gas off. You may still need to do some scrubbing afterwords but it should come off easily after the soak. I do this with the holey rock that I collect from the "wild" and trust me it has a lot more then just some algae on it.
Woodworm

Postby vann59 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Dude! Why are you bleaching the rock? You know it's gonna grow back anyway. Remember what DJ said, choose interesting shapes, not colors, because the color of the rock is going to change.
PM me to join our local "Manasota Cichlid Keepers Network" here in Sarasota/Manatee FL area.
vann59

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:17 pm

Well...I am impatient so I went ahead and grabbed a huge pot and put a bunch of bleach in it and filled the rest with water and boiled them....all algae is gone. Almost no scrubbing at all. I went ahead and rinsed and are letting them soak for 24s in cold water with a bunch of seachem safe. I will them drain the water and rinse again and smell to see if the bleach smell is gone...if so then I am adding them tomorrow.

Hey Vann...I really wanted to disinfect the rocks anyways after they came out of my brothers tank. He is not as anal as most of us are in terms of keeping things clean and fish healthy.
13razorbackfan

Postby vann59 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:49 pm

Ok, I can understand getting rid of cooties. But you're not gonna stress over the algae when it grows back right?

It's only natural :thumb:

(I definitely prefer nice green algae to the brown diatoms though.)
PM me to join our local "Manasota Cichlid Keepers Network" here in Sarasota/Manatee FL area.
vann59

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:02 pm

vann59 wrote:Ok, I can understand getting rid of cooties. But you're not gonna stress over the algae when it grows back right?

It's only natural :thumb:

(I definitely prefer nice green algae to the brown diatoms though.)
No....I will not stress...I am growing nice green algae on my current rocks and like it. My line of thinking is getting rid of cooties and having nice white rocks for a little bit then them turning off green. The algae that was on there has been there for so long it was black in some areas dark and light green as well. Just looked weird.
13razorbackfan

Postby 13razorbackfan » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:12 pm

Ok....they are drying out now and looking pretty good. I think this formation looks ok in my 4' tank....any thoughts:

13razorbackfan

Postby JAyliffe » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:51 am

I think they look great! Can't wait to see your fish enjoying them
250G Malawi Male
Mbuna Afra Cobue, P Elongatus, Albino, OB
Haps Borleyi, Moori, Taeniolatus, Fryeri, Ovatus, Taiwan Reef, Insignius, Intermedius, Venustus, Fusco, Livingstonii, Rhoadesii, Mloto
Peacocks OB Peacock, Lemon Jake, Rubescens, Dragon Blood
JAyliffe

Postby 13razorbackfan » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:55 am

JAyliffe wrote:I think they look great! Can't wait to see your fish enjoying them
Yeah...just got to get the black sand...going to let them bask in the sun for another day or two. Going to make a makeshift outline of my tank on my coffee table with exact measurements so I can figure out what will look best before I remove the fish and rearrange everything.
13razorbackfan

Postby Mike_G » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:16 pm

13razorbackfan wrote:Going to make a makeshift outline of my tank on my coffee table with exact measurements so I can figure out what will look best before I remove the fish and rearrange everything.

I'm using a piece of eggcrate cut to size as a template.
Mike_G

Postby 13razorbackfan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:53 pm

Mike_G wrote:
13razorbackfan wrote:Going to make a makeshift outline of my tank on my coffee table with exact measurements so I can figure out what will look best before I remove the fish and rearrange everything.

I'm using a piece of eggcrate cut to size as a template.
Yeah....I just laid out a big board and used masking tape....have it all set to redo the tank sometime this afternoon.
13razorbackfan

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)