General Aquaria Discussion • Catfish identity

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Catfish identity

Postby Hammerstix » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:23 pm

I have a catfish in my tank I always seem to forget about mentioning because he is nocturnal & I rarely see him. I would post a pic but he hides during the day & I doubt a night photo would be good enough to see him.

He is silver, has a large barb in his dorsal fin. I google searched & found a photo of him exactly however it doesn't mention what it is. Im gonna try to either upload the photo or copy the link.

I can't remember where I got him but would just like to know what he is. Thanks if u r able to help w/ my limited info.
Hammerstix

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Hammerstix » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:28 pm

http://www.google.com/search?q=Aquarium ... d=0CC8QsAQ

Hope this works, Im on my smartphone & not my laptop...It's the third row thumbprint photo on the left. Third row, first photo...what kind of catfish is that?
Hammerstix

Postby Hammerstix » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:33 pm

It worked but changed format/layout...he's third row second on the left. Fish facing camera straight on...what kind is that?
Hammerstix

Postby GTZ » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:56 pm

Image location will depend on how wide your monitor is.
Save the image and upload it to a hosting site like imgur.com or flickr.
75G L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.) | Ps. demasoni | Met. greshakei
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby dwarfpike » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:04 pm

I'm guessing it's the Bala cat/shark cat/Colombian shark or what ever common name they are using for it now ... used to be Arius sp., but that might have changed.

If it is, you might want to return it. They get huge, prefer brakish water, and use that dorsal spine in venomous. Or was it the pectorial fins? Can't remember, been a while.
Last edited by dwarfpike on Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwarfpike

Postby Hammerstix » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:04 pm

Hammerstix

Postby Hammerstix » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:09 pm

Any thoughts?
Hammerstix

Postby DJRansome » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:12 pm

The pic does not show shape and the color is not very distinctive. I was thinking bala shark too. Maybe a pic of your own fish? You may need to net him and photograph him in a holding container.

And THEN if we don't know...maybe post the pic on www.planetcatfish.com.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby mlancaster » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:33 pm

Hi Hammerstix,

Perhaps you have a Ariopsis seemanni, commonly known as colombian shark catfish or white/silver tip catfish. How big is yours? Although I have not kept them I read that they can get over a foot and as they get older they prefer more brackish water.

Keep us posted on your thoughts.

Thanks,
Matt
mlancaster

Postby clgkag » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:13 pm

Agree with Matt, it is a colombia shark. They do need to move to brackish water as they mature.
clgkag

Postby Hammerstix » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:30 pm

Thanks, the Colombia shark is my guy! Thanks for your expertise! I.'ve had him for about 4 years & he's probably 6" long. Rarely do I see him although moments ago I shined a flashlight to find him & he quickly took xiver. He's not a real active fish & after first getting him I thought he was dead quite a few times. That wad before realizing he's nocturnal cuz he's very active when lights are out.
Hammerstix

Return to General Aquaria Discussion