Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • jungle val assistance

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: notho2000, CjCichlid

jungle val assistance

Postby lucid_eye » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:37 am

I bought some jungle val a month ago, dug holes in the substrate and buried it. Well after not seeing any growth and the leaves being pruned by snails and digging, I decided to research the plant. what a concept right? :oops: So i now realize that the crown needs to be exposed. When I pulled them up to where they need to be I discovered many runners and a few leaves that were attempting to push to the surface. Should I add any fertilizers or root tabs to give them a boost or just let nature correct my ignorance?
lucid_eye

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby kenko » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:25 pm

They are very heavy root feeders, so yes, I'd add root tabs. I have mine under the surface without issue, but I also have a base layer of peat and use root tabs as well. No issues and they are growing like mad... I'd also cut the runners and replant if you are concerned.
kenko

Postby BillD » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:49 pm

How deep is your tank? Jungle Vals typically grow from 3 to 6' depending on type.
BillD

Postby lucid_eye » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:49 am

31 inches deep, when when I first got them they were all the way to the surface and folded over.
lucid_eye

Postby starplayer » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:57 pm

Can I ask what lighting you guys have? About to change from a Tang rock scape to a SA planted tank and would like suitable lighting for amazon swords, val etc.
starplayer

Postby kenko » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:15 pm

In my low tech tank with swords and vals, I am using 4x 48" T5's. Two 6700K and 2 10KK.
Geo. Tapajos, D. Maculatus, Tetras: Emperor, Flame, Neon, Yellow, L129, Brown BNP, Cyath. Furcifer Ruziba, Dewindti, Callo. Melanostigma and Pleurospilus, Leleupi, Tretocephalus, Yellow Calvus, Afra Cobue, SRT Hongi, Syn. Lucipinnis, Euptera, Ocellifer
kenko

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)