DIY - Projects & Ideas • G.E. Silicone 1

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

G.E. Silicone 1

Postby MudbugnLouisiana » Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:48 pm

You guys have asked many questions on this topic so here is the Sticky you asked for. :D

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... hp?t=21059
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... e+silicone
My Fish: http://community.webshots.com/user/mudbugnla
Please add your opinions to the Product and Retailer Reviews Section: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/reviews/
MudbugnLouisiana

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Axl » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:25 am

The GE 1 sillicone is supposedly the same exact stuff in the All Glass Tubes.

All Glass buys their sillicone from GE. This is why the GE1 used to say "aquarium safe" but doesn't now.

You can call GE but for the "legal reasons" mentioned elsewhere they aren't really supposed to say its the same thing, but they more or less should if you get ahold of sombody decent.
Axl
Axl

Postby Michelle » Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:47 pm

And if you are in Canada just go to Canadian Tire, there in house brand of silicone says right on it "aquarium safe" 8)
http://www.freewebs.com/our_fish/ if you want to check out our fish
Michelle

Postby cichSavvy » Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:44 am

I began work on my tank using the ge silicone I w&d. The smell is pretty strong even after it cured. Is that common and in any way affect the fish?
If patience is a virtue, then time is not meant to hurt you
cichSavvy

Postby Rob A » Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:53 pm

cichSavvy,
It smells just like vinigar. I think all silicones have this smell. Usually after 24-36 hours or so, when it fully cures, the smell will go away. If you can still smell it, wait a little longer. Might even want to wait a few more days after the smell is gone, just to be on the safe side.
Rob A
75 gal, sand, slate caves pair of brichardis. 30 gal hex- one fancy gold fish.
Rob A

Postby coinkid285 » Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:22 pm

I got ge silicone bath and sink from home depot in the paint section and i have used this before and I have had no problem. It does smell like vineger(ALOT :o ), dont get that stuff on you because it stays for about a week(it has to wear off, nothing gets it off)
coinkid285

Postby SmokingJoe » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:02 am

In the local Albertson store, they sell GE silicon II, and it says "not for: ... Aquarium" so I am not sure if this topic was about the same product?
SmokingJoe

Postby wetworx101 » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:40 am

uh, there is a silicone solvent...
wetworx101

Postby Mcdaphnia » Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:58 am

Silicone I gives off acetic acid while curing. This is the vinegar smell. A friend of mine worked in Axelrod's aquarium building company many years ago and still has problems from the damage it did to his sinuses and lungs. Your body gives you no warning of the dangers of breathing in acid vapor. The hazard of smelling this stuff prompted the development of Silicone II which instead gives off ammonia. Your body knows about ammonia. II has about 80% of the strength of the original formulation, plenty for building a tank. Once the II is completely cured, it no longer gives off ammonia, but until then it is not safe with fish. If you do all your assembly and curing in a separate place from your fish, there should be no problem. However the company is off the hook with their disclaimer. I always use the original stuff but make sure have ventilation in the area, and a fan blowing fresh air right at my work site.
Mcdaphnia

Postby Mcdaphnia » Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:04 am

Someone mentioned bath and tub caulk. That contains a mildewcide which will leach out into the water affecting fish and plants. The most common mildewcide used in this product is arsenic, a slow acting cumulative poison.
Mcdaphnia

Postby cich man » Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:19 am

ya home hardware also canadian has there brand that is also aquarium safe. but dont look on the back of the tube for the info. cause it is only on the front in big letters aquarium safe.
cich man

Postby finnyas » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:36 pm

DAP brand 100% silicone cartridge number 43112 is food safe and aquarium safe I use all the time to repair aquariums.
What do you do when you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant?
finnyas

GE silicone II

Postby kmbrush » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:45 am

Okay, so I need to know what the difference is between the silicones. I bought the GE silicone II - gutter and flashing. Is there a difference between this and the kitchen & bath version? I am putting rock onto pvc for caves in my aquarium.

Please let me know if there is a difference. I haven't finished this project and would like to know if I can continue.

:-?
kmbrush

Postby finnyas » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:46 pm

Yes there is a difference the bathroom,kitchen,silicone most times they
have fungicide in them and are toxic to fish
that is why you want to find the one I reccommended it is food safe and says so on the label. I t also is clear with no additive for coloring..there is a silicone which is black and safe to use it has the same cartridge number as the clear i posted... :D
What do you do when you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant?
finnyas

Postby Mcdaphnia » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:13 am

KMbrush, the Silicone II gives off ammonia while curing, so use it and cure it in a spot far away from all fish tanks. It does not contain arsenic or any other mildewcides. It is not as strong as original silicone but safer for you to use since breathing the acetic acid fumes from the original formulation is harzardous. Even the stronger formulation does not stick well to plastic pipe and many rocks. You could try Oatey brand all purpose cement instead. You can score the rocks and put some cement there to dry out before assembling the whole thing. http://www.cornerhardware.com/item_2637 ... 6-oz-.html
Mcdaphnia

Next

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas