Lake Tanganyika Species • Caudopunctatus breeding?

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

Caudopunctatus breeding?

Postby scottdeasy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:00 am

I recently got a half dozen caudopunctatus from two different dealers and really enjoy them. It is my understanding that these guys get to be about three inches. At about an inch and a half though, they have bred. None of the fry are staying in a shell or in rocks for protection, but just moving about on the sand. The parents are doing an ok job of defending the fry, but they seem pretty out in the open.
Is it normal for these guys to start breeding this early? Should I expect a few trials and errors from the parents until they find a more secure location? Are they good parents or should I remove parents and fry to their own tank?
Any experience/advice is appreciated. Thanks.
scottdeasy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby vince0 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:54 am

Congrats on spawning a real cool shelly. I have a breeding pair in a 20 long, and they spawn for me regularly. If you want to keep lots of fry, my advise would be to pull them. When they male is ready to breed, he will either start eating them, or push them out of his territory and the other fish will start eating them. Not the best parental care IMO.

Good luck, and I hope you get lots of fry/
vince0

Postby scottdeasy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:42 am

Thanks Vince.

Do you leave the parents in the 20 long with the fry or do you remove the fry?
scottdeasy

Postby vince0 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:51 pm

In my twenty long, there is enough room for the fry to venture on their own and for the parents to have a territory. When the male is ready, he pushes the fry to the other side of the tank.
vince0

Postby scottdeasy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:14 am

I have the same setup in a twenty long. There are six small caudos though. They really are tiny now and I thought I'd have more time before moving them in to a larger tank. I guess I need to move the others and leave only the adults? I am really surprised that at only about 1.5 inches there is a spawn. Is this typical?
scottdeasy

Postby vince0 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:19 am

They don't get very big. You must have taken good care of them.
vince0

Postby scottdeasy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:23 am

Well, I've only had them about 3 months. lol. This was the first time I tried them and they quickly became a new favorite. Very fun to watch. Their activity really fills up a tank with energy. I thought they got about 3 inches though? Is that right?
scottdeasy

Postby DJRansome » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:04 am

125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species