Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Who spawned in your tank today ?!!!!

311K views 2K replies 421 participants last post by  Iggy Newcastle 
#1 ·
A. Stuartgranti Maleri Island- 1st spawn so not expecting much from her

F1 Cyno. Afra Cobue- 1 of 3 holding, other 2 have tubes down- whoohoo, love this fish

#903 ·
I know it's not malawi, but I have another holding xeno bathyphilus. But the females never hold for more than a week it seems. I guess eating and sifting sand are more appealing to them than toting around a mouth full of eggs. :-?

#905 ·
Came home today and caught 2 of my FEMALE red zebras going at it ;) ;) bow chika bow bow ;) ;)

I had seen one was ready to lay eggs for a few days now (puffy belly full o' eggs, and then she dropped her egg tube), and I've been wondering if my male yellow lab would man up and get 'er done, but I guess he's too intimidated or she was too forward or something :lol:

Just for reference, I have 3 confirmed female RZ's in my tank just for some extra color (no other RZ's), and the only mature male of any species in the tank right now is my yellow lab.

Technically, I never confirmed that the third RZ was a female officially by seeing her holding, but it was and still is the smallest of the 3 by a smidge, and was not part of the girl on girl action yesterday.

I don't think I'm going to be able to keep them though - they stress each other out too much, 1 of them rules the group just like a male and chases away the other 2.

#907 ·
When I de-decorated my tank to remove some fish, I also rescued 7 fry, 5 Red Zebras and 2 Acei Ngara that I had no idea were even in there! This is particularly good news, since Acei are hard to get around here, and one died mysteriously (probably beaten by bully) a week or two ago, so I'm glad to have 2 more in the pipeline and hope for more in the future!

Then I ordered 14 demasoni and they turned out to be fry, too, so my fry tank is a cute little swarm. I probably need to give it its own light since I'm so much more interested in it than the main tank right now.

#909 ·
Some of it not Malawi, but in recent days, I've had a Red Zebra holding, Cyno Afra Jalo Reef, Cyprichromis Kerenge(didn't hold to term), possibly a neon spot goby(still trying to get a clear determination), and as of yesterday, my Trig Otostigma spawned again, finally.

#911 ·
P. Johanni seen holding today. Dad chased her hard and fast last night! Now have three females look like they are holding, 1 Johanni, 1 Red Zebra and 1 Yellow Lab :) If my memory is right, Yellow Lab is two weeks and counting, not sure about the Zebra.

#916 ·
JAyliffe said:
P. Johanni seen holding today. Dad chased her hard and fast last night! Now have three females look like they are holding, 1 Johanni, 1 Red Zebra and 1 Yellow Lab :) If my memory is right, Yellow Lab is two weeks and counting, not sure about the Zebra.
Well either my count was off or both my lab and my zebra spit or swallowed early :( neither one are holding now and I saw them both eating yesterday. The lab looks so much smaller than the male I buoght at the same time and they were about the same size then. Since both females are in my main tank I have no hope for the fry even if my count of days was off but I can't help but stare @ the rocks just hoping to see a little face poking out...

#919 ·
My Auratus male and my albino auratus female...

I've already started looking forward to the fry... its her first spawn so i am keeping my fingers crossed...

#922 ·
Ok I know this is not a good thing, but had a male albino socolofi and female mangano spawn yesterday! has anyone ever seen this combo? I don't know why the female chose the albino male rather than the mangano male ? I currently have 4 batches of OB fry 1 batch yellow lab 1 batch pure albino socolfi and a batch of rubescent clowns awaiting deportation to the fish store!

#924 ·
I just transferred all my fish from my 37G to my newly set-up 55G on Monday and last night I noticed that my female Hongi Is. Jacobfreibergi is holding (YAY!) I'm going to remove the female today and put her back in the 37G which has 2 giant danios and a 2.5" BN pleco in it and see if she'll hold to term this time (2nd attempt)