Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • Using a garden hose to fill up my tank.

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: CjCichlid, notho2000

Using a garden hose to fill up my tank.

Postby 4RSo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Would it be unwise to use a garden hose to fill my tank up? I haven't purchased the attachment hose for my sink yet, so I was curious if it would be alright to use my garden hose, it's a couple years old so I would rinse it off and run water through it for 5-10 minutes to clear out any unwanted debris before filling up the tank.

Not sure if this is important or not, but the tank is 125 gallons with pre-rinsed Tahitian moon sand.
4RSo

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby MalawiBlue » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:22 pm

That should be no problem at all. Just make sure you've got someone on the other end ready to turn it off! :thumb:
MalawiBlue

Postby 4RSo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:25 pm

haha, of course! Thanks a lot.
4RSo

Postby TrashmanNYC » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:44 pm

I would use one that is "drinking water safe."
Robb
125G All Male Peacock/Hap, Syno Multis, Syno Angelicus
125G Rusties, Clown Labs, P. Salousi, Syno Multis, Yo-Yo Loaches
55G SA Koi Angels, Marble Angels, Serpae Tetras, Bolivian Rams, Panda Corys
55G Quarantine/Holding/Grow-out
30G Fry/Juvie Grow-out
TrashmanNYC

Postby 4RSo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:56 pm

It's the same water from the tap!

Already done, filled up in about 10 minutes. It's cold so i'm going to wait a few days to warm up, get my filter and heater running, get the rest of the sand in there, skim the surface and clean out any extra debris floating about then start cycling. A little later than I expected, but it should be well worth it.

:)

thanks a lot, i'll be back with more questions if everything sounds good later on.
4RSo

Postby DJRansome » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:23 pm

Some people think the hose itself can leach undesirable "something" into the water. They do sell special plastics for RV's that is used for drinking water. FWIW.

I like the Python for it's flexibility too...no stiff klunky hose knocking into stuff around the house.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby vann59 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:29 pm

MalawiBlue wrote:That should be no problem at all. Just make sure you've got someone on the other end ready to turn it off! :thumb:

I like to have a valve on the end of the hose too, even though I put mine into a barrel first for adjustments. If you put a valve on the hose and make a 'hook' out of pvc pipe, you can hang it on the rim while it fills.
PM me to join our local "Manasota Cichlid Keepers Network" here in Sarasota/Manatee FL area.
vann59

Postby DanniGirl » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:34 am

Honestly, I've used both hoses; garden and potable. The water is fine.

Run water through the hose first and you won't have a problem.
DanniGirl

Postby AulonoKarl » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:03 am

I've been using a hose for a while. I've never lost a fish due to quality of the water I put into the tank. That said, I'm pretty excited for the aqueon water changer I ordered on amazon to get here this week. Hose isn't overly complicated, but the aqueon just seems like it's going to be super convenient and fast.
AulonoKarl

Postby 4RSo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:29 pm

well for water changes i'll probably get a 50ft Aqueon or a Python brand, it keeps things so clean, and I don't think it's possible to syphon out water with that hose! :lol:
4RSo

Postby kwajr » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:51 am

4RSo wrote:well for water changes i'll probably get a 50ft Aqueon or a Python brand, it keeps things so clean, and I don't think it's possible to syphon out water with that hose! :lol:

sure it is its called gravity if you put the end of the hose well below the tank the water will flow out :thumb:
kwajr

Postby nodima » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:06 pm

4RSo wrote:well for water changes i'll probably get a 50ft Aqueon or a Python brand, it keeps things so clean, and I don't think it's possible to syphon out water with that hose! :lol:

Oh #%$&, then I've been defying laws of physics for years!! How should I now siphon water out of the tank?
180 gal - Kigoma Frontosa, Synodontis Multipunctatus, Giant Danios

125gal - Tanganyikan community tank: Tropheus Bemba, Synodontis Petricola, Compressiceps

75gal - Planted SA tank
nodima

Postby theoryguru » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:52 pm

Shouldn't be a problem.
I use a rubber garden hose fill my tank; I do have 'no name' python I don't use often.

Sometimes after I turn on the faucet and the hose end finds it way out of my tank and
sprays everything around, I'll jam it behind my bg, but I have to come up with a weight or clip to keep it from making a mess.
theoryguru

Postby 4RSo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:01 pm

nodima wrote:

Oh #%$&, then I've been defying laws of physics for years!! How should I now siphon water out of the tank?

I meant my hose, since it's connected to my house, I couldn't suck on it to create the siphon to clean my tank. Not that you couldn't siphon water out with your tube! The laws of physics are still in full working order good sir.
:dancing:
4RSo

Postby 4RSo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:03 pm

theoryguru wrote:Shouldn't be a problem.
I use a rubber garden hose fill my tank; I do have 'no name' python I don't use often.

Sometimes after I turn on the faucet and the hose end finds it way out of my tank and
sprays everything around, I'll jam it behind my bg, but I have to come up with a weight or clip to keep it from making a mess.

the clip in conjunction with a tube of PVC works well, no mess! I just have to make sure the tube doesn't come out of the PVC! lol
4RSo

Next

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)