Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Finally started DIY background, but am i doing it right?

9K views 67 replies 13 participants last post by  cichlid85 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

I have wanted to do this DIY background for so long! Finally decided to do it! So I am at the part where you paste your concrete on. I followed directions closely within diy articles in the library. So i have my 1st layer on. I misted it so it doesnt dry too fast. Couple things:

Am i doing this right? It seems to almost crumble off. I tried sandpapering it down first before concrete, as i am using white styrophome. Also the concrete has alot of rocks in it. Is that normal?
This is only my first layer and it has been drying abt 2 hrs now and i have misted w water to slow the drying.
Lastly, i am attempting to add this to an established tank. (I know to soak it first and be sure ph ismt too high)We'll see if this thing stays in or it might be too boyant. Eh, I really hope this works and im not wasting my time!

Thanks!

#52 ·
Well it turns out i was not doing my diy right. I had silicone that is dangerous to my fish. I had the mold/mildew free kind that has toxic chemicals in it.

But that is OK and im starting over again with brand new materials and GE silicone 1 windows and doors. I know what to do this time so I will repost when done. Thanks again to everyone for the help!

#53 ·
cichlid85 said:
Well it turns out i was not doing my diy right. I had silicone that is dangerous to my fish. I had the mold/mildew free kind that has toxic chemicals in it.

But that is OK and im starting over again with brand new materials and GE silicone 1 windows and doors. I know what to do this time so I will repost when done. Thanks again to everyone for the help!
please do a research on make-make. Will be GREAT help for u, if they provide info in english that is ofcourse

#54 ·
123vb123 said:
cichlid85 said:

please do a research on make-make. Will be GREAT help for u, if they provide info in english that is ofcourse
Ok, I will check it out :) thank you

#58 ·
DanniGirl said:
Sounds good. I'm anxious to see it. :thumb:
Dannigirl,

Thanks so,much for the extra help. It paid off for me! Finally done and in the tank. I really like this one. I will try and post another thread with the correct products to use, step by step but it takes longer because i am basically texting from my phone lol. Here it is. Thanks everyone

#60 ·
13razorbackfan said:
That looks very natural. I like it. Good job! The rough looking texture looks very natural. Are you going to add some bright green plants? Some green plants that grow tall will add some length and really set it off!
Thanks! I have alot of live plants I will place back in the tank. I like the look without them but havnt put the plants in with the new BG yet to see :)

#61 ·
cichlid85 said:
13razorbackfan said:
That looks very natural. I like it. Good job! The rough looking texture looks very natural. Are you going to add some bright green plants? Some green plants that grow tall will add some length and really set it off!
Thanks! I have alot of live plants I will place back in the tank. I like the look without them but havnt put the plants in with the new BG yet to see :)
The plants will add height but maybe more importantly it will add some contrast. The green along with the white and the dark brownish/red background will look awesome.

What type of fish?

#62 ·
Unfortunately their service in english is terrible. If you can use google translate or similar, it might work.

http://www.makemake.dk/default.asp?menu=100

I beleive they ship overseas at fair prices :)

Make make does some of the best terrain/landscaping in europe, most if it with their own products. Premade concrete with natural-color for example :)

#63 ·
cichlid85 said:
Dannigirl,

Thanks so,much for the extra help. It paid off for me! Finally done and in the tank. I really like this one. I will try and post another thread with the correct products to use, step by step but it takes longer because i am basically texting from my phone lol. Here it is. Thanks everyone
You're welcome.

Your new background looks so much better than the previous two. Great job! =D>

#64 ·
13razorbackfan said:
cichlid85 said:
13razorbackfan said:
The plants will add height but maybe more importantly it will add some contrast. The green along with the white and the dark brownish/red background will look awesome.

What type of fish?
Hi Razorbackfan,

So I went ahead and decided to put the live plants back in, and you were right, it looks very nice! I will try to get some pics with the plants on here.

I was thinking more of what i want to do and I think i want to add some rocks that match the new BG and some more driftwood or sticks too.

Oh, and at this time I have some flame tetra in there with one juvie firemouth. They do really well together but I know he needs more room and Im planning a CA biotype 55 gal or larger in a few months 8)

#65 ·
cichlid85 said:
13razorbackfan said:
cichlid85 said:
13razorbackfan said:

What type of fish?
Hi Razorbackfan,

So I went ahead and decided to put the live plants back in, and you were right, it looks very nice! I will try to get some pics with the plants on here.

I was thinking more of what i want to do and I think i want to add some rocks that match the new BG and some more driftwood or sticks too.

Oh, and at this time I have some flame tetra in there with one juvie firemouth. They do really well together but I know he needs more room and Im planning a CA biotype 55 gal or larger in a few months 8)
Good...glad the plants worked out.

This may sound crazy but you can always use the same process to cover a couple rocks to make it match the background. That solves that issue. Sticks and driftwood would look nice as well.

#66 ·
I thought about that. I guess I could add a base to the rocks if i make them so they dont float...

Um, I did a water change before i put the plants in and I am now missing a tetra! I just noticed. I looked everywhere even thought he might have jumped out while the top was off the tank. I looked on the ground..maybe be got sucked into the syphon hose when i did the water change? :oops: Its weird...

#67 ·
cichlid85 said:
I thought about that. I guess I could add a base to the rocks if i make them so they dont float...

Um, I did a water change before i put the plants in and I am now missing a tetra! I just noticed. I looked everywhere even thought he might have jumped out while the top was off the tank. I looked on the ground..maybe be got sucked into the syphon hose when i did the water change? :oops: Its weird...
You sure he is not hidden somewhere else in the tank?

Also...I mean as far as the rocks are concerned...find a rock that generally matches the shape, clean it then add the drylok to the rock.

#68 ·
Well, hes still missing. I dont know where he is. I looked for him everywhere. The only thing i can think is that after i put the plants in i did a water change and then used my fishnet to catch the extra debrise floating in the water. I must have scooped him on accident or something.

I even looked behind the BG to see if he got stuck but nothing...poor guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.