DIY - Projects & Ideas • Finally started DIY background, but am i doing it right?

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:30 pm

Looks 10X better than the concrete....I really like it. Take pics after installation in your tank.
13razorbackfan

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby cichlid85 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:49 pm

13razorbackfan wrote:Looks 10X better than the concrete....I really like it. Take pics after installation in your tank.

Thanks! I agree. After seeing both, drylok looks so much better and its way faster and easier to work with.
Razorback fan, its ur turn now! I definatly give my aproval. It wasnt that much work once u have your materials.
I will post the final pictures once set in the tank, if it doesnt float!

So i assume i should wait about 1 or 2 days to dry, then rinse and put in, right?
cichlid85

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:59 pm

cichlid85 wrote:
13razorbackfan wrote:Looks 10X better than the concrete....I really like it. Take pics after installation in your tank.

Thanks! I agree. After seeing both, drylok looks so much better and its way faster and easier to work with.
Razorback fan, its ur turn now! I definatly give my aproval. It wasnt that much work once u have your materials.
I will post the final pictures once set in the tank, if it doesnt float!

So i assume i should wait about 1 or 2 days to dry, then rinse and put in, right?
Honestly have no idea how long it needs to cure before tank ready. I have to wait until I have all canisters on my tank as the lips on the HOB filters I currently have will cause issues. I plan sometime towards the end of summer. I am just doing my research from now till then like I do on everything to make sure I have a good plan in place and not throwing good money after bad.
13razorbackfan

Postby cichlid85 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:36 pm

So i got the background in today after i rinsed it very well. I found a couple spots that were in between the rocks that must have had clumps of drylock that didnt dry due to being too thick. I hosed it down and the drylock came off all the way to the styro. So at this point i am tired and i decided instead of going out to get more drylok and the extra work and drying time, i just cut holes in those places between the rock. It wasnt that big and u cant tell. I will paint the back of the tank black anyway so it will look like a cave.

Took all my fish and everything out and into a 5gal bucket. Took about 75% of the water out to put in bg.
Noticed there was not enough room for my filter. Had to cut the styro to fit it but its lookin ok.
This was also a good time for a water change so i did that too.

Fish seem ok so far, theyve been in for 2 hours now.

Im waiting for the water to settle since moving the sand in and out fogged it up, but im adding a pic of it in a few when it uploads...
cichlid85

Postby cichlid85 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:14 pm

Hard to really see in the pics...

Overall Im happy with it, it looks 100% better and i recommend trying a diy BG for yourself!
cichlid85

Postby 123vb123 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:31 pm

Before you finish, i just made a DIY background, i read every available article on this site, and alot around the net too. Everything was going perfect, and its drying silicone to the bc now.
Just to find out that i actually did a million things wrong, and that ALL pple in here could improve alot for future makings. I spoke to the creator of the "make make" products today. He is really a pro, and does land scapes and backgrounds for public aquariums world wide. Including help directing georgia aquarium. Hes done norway, sweden and denmarks national aquariums landscapes too. He gave me many good tips that i will use for the future, but its quite late here atm, ill post alot of ideas and read ur thread fully tomorrow! if not p.m me
If the fish had not opened its mouth, it would not have been caught.
123vb123

Postby cichlid85 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:12 am

Well it turns out i was not doing my diy right. I had silicone that is dangerous to my fish. I had the mold/mildew free kind that has toxic chemicals in it.

But that is OK and im starting over again with brand new materials and GE silicone 1 windows and doors. I know what to do this time so I will repost when done. Thanks again to everyone for the help!
Sent from verizon wireless phone
cichlid85

Postby 123vb123 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:12 pm

cichlid85 wrote:Well it turns out i was not doing my diy right. I had silicone that is dangerous to my fish. I had the mold/mildew free kind that has toxic chemicals in it.

But that is OK and im starting over again with brand new materials and GE silicone 1 windows and doors. I know what to do this time so I will repost when done. Thanks again to everyone for the help!

please do a research on make-make. Will be GREAT help for u, if they provide info in english that is ofcourse
If the fish had not opened its mouth, it would not have been caught.
123vb123

Postby cichlid85 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:32 pm

123vb123 wrote:
cichlid85 wrote:Well it turns out i was not doing my diy right. I had silicone that is dangerous to my fish. I had the mold/mildew free kind that has toxic chemicals in it.

please do a research on make-make. Will be GREAT help for u, if they provide info in english that is ofcourse

Ok, I will check it out :) thank you
cichlid85

Postby cichlid85 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:37 pm

So I did a google seach but didnt find what you were refering to. Do you have a link? I have not heard of make make...
cichlid85

Postby cichlid85 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:13 pm

Well my brand new BG is all done now. Still drying outside. I wont get it in my tank til tommorow but will post some pics.
cichlid85

Postby DanniGirl » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:28 pm

Sounds good. I'm anxious to see it. :thumb:
DanniGirl

Postby cichlid85 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:00 pm

DanniGirl wrote:Sounds good. I'm anxious to see it. :thumb:

Dannigirl,

Thanks so,much for the extra help. It paid off for me! Finally done and in the tank. I really like this one. I will try and post another thread with the correct products to use, step by step but it takes longer because i am basically texting from my phone lol. Here it is. Thanks everyone

cichlid85

Postby 13razorbackfan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:45 pm

That looks very natural. I like it. Good job! The rough looking texture looks very natural. Are you going to add some bright green plants? Some green plants that grow tall will add some length and really set it off!
13razorbackfan

Postby cichlid85 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:23 pm

13razorbackfan wrote:That looks very natural. I like it. Good job! The rough looking texture looks very natural. Are you going to add some bright green plants? Some green plants that grow tall will add some length and really set it off!

Thanks! I have alot of live plants I will place back in the tank. I like the look without them but havnt put the plants in with the new BG yet to see :)
cichlid85

PreviousNext

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas