DIY - Projects & Ideas • Finally started DIY background, but am i doing it right?

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby cichlid85 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:56 pm

Ok I dont think this is going to work. Can someone help?
I have been worried about chipping. I just tested a corner that is dry with 3 layers of quikcrete concrete mix. It totally cracked and chipped off all the way to the styrophome! It came off so easily, almost like it was just dried mud crumbling off! What did I do wrong? Can i fix it w/o starting all over? I have put alot of effort into this diy and im worried i wasted all my time!
cichlid85

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby 13razorbackfan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:29 pm

Have you thought about my previous comments in regards to drylok or thin-set mortar mix? If it is already chipping that is what I would do. Just chip it off with a small hammer and start over. If nothing else....it will give you peace of mind.
13razorbackfan

Postby cichlid85 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi! I asked a worker at ACE he told me motar mix would come off. Honestly i dont know what drylock is. Can i get it at lowes? Can u dye it with the concrete coloring? Or is there something i can put over this diy to set it? So it wont chip?
cichlid85

Postby 13razorbackfan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:33 pm

cichlid85 wrote:Hi! I asked a worker at ACE he told me motar mix would come off. Honestly i dont know what drylock is. Can i get it at lowes? Can u dye it with the concrete coloring? Or is there something i can put over this diy to set it? So it wont chip?
Here ya go....3/4 way down page on page 2 of thread. It is a 3 page thread. It deals with where he bought his plus colors.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... &&start=15

Hope this helps.
13razorbackfan

Postby GTZ » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:53 pm

Here's a list of DIY Background links that you may find helpful.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... hp?t=99515
75G L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.) | Ps. demasoni | Met. greshakei
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby cichlid85 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:40 am

Thanks both of u for the links and youre help! Its back to research for me but i will redo this with the drylock if i can find it. Im going to read those links. Then i will re-post a pic of the final outcome!

At least i learned concrete is not for me!
cichlid85

Postby cichlid85 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:20 am

By the way, I went to lowes website and they DO have drylock! So razorback fan, I will let you know my opinion of drylock a nd if it worked. Then you can start your DIY too :wink:
cichlid85

Postby 13razorbackfan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:21 am

cichlid85 wrote:By the way, I went to lowes website and they DO have drylock! So razorback fan, I will let you know my opinion of drylock a nd if it worked. Then you can start your DIY too :wink:
Sounds like a plan!
13razorbackfan

Postby madmort0 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:17 pm

:popcorn: :popcorn:
madmort0

Postby Rhinox » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:26 pm

Just wanted to say I'm a little disappointed its chipping off, I really liked how it was turning out - had a really nice texture and color either the natural gray or the red, both looked very natural.

Just wanted to say with concrete, its like a rock, they look different dry vs. wet. What I mean is, you didn't like how light the concrete looked as it cured and dried, but remember when you stick it in your tank it will be wet and look a little darker.

I know you're going with drylok now, but just in case you ever try concrete again in the future there you go. Drylok is probably better anyways, won't have to worry about the curing process of concrete raising your pH. Drylok is basically paint though, so it'll take a more artistic touch than I have to make it look as good as your concrete one was looking.
Rhinox

Postby Anthraxx8500 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:46 pm

i prefered the gray but then add a tiny bit of red/black here and there. sorta to age or color the rocks a bit. as each rock is typically not one uniform color. i hope it works out for you.
Anthraxx8500

Postby cichlid85 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:00 pm

I totally agree and was going to go back to add some dimension to the color as it was too uniform, until i noticed it was chipping off so easily.

Rhinox, I was disapointed as well. I tried to go back and just chip it off and redo but soon realized this would take a long time and it was faster to just start over

So i started over. I have the background ready and have all my styrophome in place and its set with silicone, ready for the drylok!

Im off to lowes now and will keep u posted! I have pics too i will add tonight.[/quote]
cichlid85

Postby cichlid85 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:04 pm

madmort0 wrote::popcorn: :popcorn:

Haha, it is entertaining to see how things turn out huh? I always like to see peoples creations and ideas :)
cichlid85

Postby cichlid85 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:56 pm

Just got back from lowes. My lowes did NOT have Drylok, tho the lowes website showed they do. So the lowes associate was very nice and helpful. I explained what i was doing. his recommendation was to use quikrete hydraulic water stop cement. The label says "sets up under water" OK, lol. Can I use this and is it pretty much the same as the drylok? I bought it and will use it if anyone who knows gives me the all clear! Otherwise i will check ACE, which is a bit farther out for me.

What a project!
cichlid85

Postby Deeda » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:13 pm

No, Quikret hydraulic water stop cement is just a high tech cement product. Drylok is a masonry waterproofing product that is applied similar to PAINT.

To answer your other question regarding concrete mix, that product comes with cement, sand & various size rocks to doing a concrete pad or similar projects.

I think it is going to be difficult to get a cement type product to stick properly to white sheet styrene styrofoam (the kind made up of smalls beads of material).
Deeda
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas