General African Cichlid Discussion • My new 75g mbuna/hap mix. your thoughts requested

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: Floridagirl, DJRansome

My new 75g mbuna/hap mix. your thoughts requested

Postby SirJAG » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:30 pm

Hello Forum!,

Here is my 75g mix. i have 17 fish total, here are the ratio's.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1257 x2 (1m/1f)
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... php?id=713 x4 (1m/3f)
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1730 x2 (1m/1f)
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... php?id=855 x3 (1m/2f)
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1371 x4 (1m/3f)

and 2 pleco albino's for the algae...and wow did they do a good job, my algae was completely out of control on about 5 of the big sized chunks of holy rock..and after about 4 days its all wiped clean..#%$& its almost white like the day i put it in.

Overall the tank seems to getting along quite well.

the Sciaenochromis fryeri (Cape Maclear) is def. the tank alpha. he has claimed about a quarter of the floor space and one whole holy rock to himself! He only has one female that i regret buying because he just chases her relentlessly and she pretty much hides most of the day at the top of tank behind the filters..poor thing, i can either get more chicks for him or get rid of her...def. not going to get him some more females...haven’t decided to take her back yet. i recently added more fish so i am hoping she get a break. this guy is my wife's and I's favorite though, he is beautiful and looks exactly like the profile pic i linked.

The four Labs are quite peaceful and dont bother anyone, and are still pretty small.

the Four Cynotilapia afra (Cobue) are just babies and spend most of their time in the holy rock when a larger fish swims by..

the two zebras are chill too, but i wonder if i have two females because they both are so VERY dark in color. but they are the exact same age and one is about 50% larger so i was hoping he is a male.

Lastly i added the three Pseudotropheus elongatus last because i was told they can be very aggressive. right now the three of them keep to themselves but i can tell the male is gonna be a bad boy, occasionally he picks a fight with either the Hap or Zebras and gets chased for several min. afterwards, its quite amusing to watch.

so i am looking for any thoughts on the mix you guys may have. i fell like its going to work out well...

thanks in advance!
Jag
SirJAG

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby brinkles » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:36 pm

Not too bad, I'd personally want fewer groups but more individuals in each. I like to start with 6-8 individuals of small fish. Which are your favorites and least favorites?

The red zebras and elongatus will be your most aggressive fish when they mature.
brinkles

Postby SirJAG » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:38 pm

[quote="brinkles"]Which are your favorites and least favorites?
quote]

i really like all the fish, they all seem to have so much personallity! i really cant believe it..its a lot of fun.

if i had to pic, the labs are my favorite becuase they seem so playful with each other, remind me of kittens...

least favorite is the female hap...something tells me she aint gonna make it...
SirJAG

Postby SirJAG » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:40 pm

as a follow up to the labs....they do this wierd thing where they seem to chase each others tails in a very tight circle..then if another lab comes by that one will work itself into the cicle and then switch off from partner to partner, almost like a dance....they are all still very young only about 1inch in length so thats too early for breeding courtship right?? anyone else seen this before? only my labs do it..
SirJAG

Postby DJRansome » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Mbuna are never too young to practice spawning, but that sounds like aggression. Labs can hold at 1.5"...don't forget to include the tail in your measurement.

I'd definitely remove the female fryeri. You have one too many species for a 75G, so you can't add fryeri females. But you might get away with the sole male hap if the mbuna don't harass him.

You want at least 4 females for the estherae, they are aggressive. And you probably want 1m:7f for the elongatus...even more aggressive than the estherae.

It will be interesting to see if the cobue color up. First because they are in a tank with such aggressive tank mates. And second because there is another blue-barred species in the tank. :thumb:
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby SirJAG » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:22 pm

Well my Sciaenochromis fryeri (Cape Maclear) and his only female tank mate hooked up this weekend. it was pretty cool to watch, now my female is holding...and hiding...i hope she makes it the next 30 days! and i am not seperatinig the fry/mother out, so i wonder how many of the little guys are gonna make it??!!

i'll keep ya posted....never thought they would be the first to mate...
SirJAG

Postby SirJAG » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:30 pm

Now my Red Zebra is holding as well...this is pretty cool stuff.
SirJAG

Postby SirJAG » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:20 am

Well the zerba made it about a week then either spit them and they got eaten, or she eat them herself.

the HAP is STILL holding and she looks to be starving to death...she is entering her 4th week..i hope she makes it.

also added another female yellow lab and another female red zerbra. will add two more Pseudotropheus elongatus females then finished!
SirJAG

Postby DJRansome » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:44 am

I would not add fish if you are not going to remove a species. :thumb:
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby SirJAG » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:54 am

what do you mean? i am just trying to get my M/F ratio's up to something more recommened. i expect the female hap to not last very long, i was reading that in 1/1 pairs their spawning abilities are greatly reduced, to less than a year...either that or she will be stressed to death.

what say-th you?
SirJAG

Postby DJRansome » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:32 pm

In a 75G you want 4 species. With 4 species you have room for the proper stocking of 1m:4f, or more females for fish like elongatus or maingano.

With 5 species...really no room for more fish. Especially when one of the species is larger like the fryeri.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby chapman76 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:50 pm

SirJAG, I agree with DJRandome here. This female, even if she holds for 30 days will be very stressed because one she releases the fry, the male will want to dance again.
chapman76

Postby Mbunagasm » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:01 am

Wow please post a pic sounds great.
Mbunagasm

Postby SirJAG » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:46 am

Will do
SirJAG

Postby SirJAG » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:52 pm

well the zebra and hap both spit the babies around the same time...now the fri are all in the smallest holes they can find...so far so good. i am not seperating them out...maybe a couple will make it! still working on pics
SirJAG

Next

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion