Cichlid Fish Forum banner

220 gal. build

96K views 115 replies 48 participants last post by  gsubioguy 
#1 ·
It all started when a friend of mine knowing I'm an aquarium GEEK called me and asked if I wanted another tank so of course I asked how big and he said huge, BE RIGHT OVER I told him.
Well anyway it was this tank that some guy had stored in his moms garage for the past 10yrs because it sprung a leak and she finally got fed up and wanted it outta there. Being so old my expectations were not very high but to my surprise it was a 8ft 220 gal. reef ready Oceanic. Very pleased that I had made the trip I asked how much? I was floored when I heard $150.00 sooooo about 2 minutes later I was loading it in my truck with a very big grin!!! Well it took me a little longer do to the fact that it weighs about 600lbs or so, I needed reinforcements quick!!! go-go cell phone and here comes my brother-in-law and we were outta there.

200 gal Oceanic reef ready tank

Time for some serious scrubbing, 10 yr old salt residue n yuk...Actually came off pretty easily, it was so dried out after 10yrs it fell right off in alot of places/ vinegar solution took care of the rest

I couldn't believe this monster the largest I've had has been 55 gal. even though I've had tanks set up for 11 or 12 yrs.
Now my wife, well, we'll just say she wasn't quite as thrilled as I was

See less See more
#102 ·
:( I'm am very sad to add this update. Just reached the 2 yr mark since my DIY build and came home to a leaking tank last night. Not sure exactly were the leak is yet but a total break down was necessary. I only lost about 3 gallons of water but that was enough to warp the trim on my stand. Looks as though my BG will need to removed as well to make repairs. Starting to wonder if GE silicone I was strong enough for a tank this size. Could have been worse but sucks just the same. :-? :-? :-?

#104 ·
Malawi_Junkie said:
:( I'm am very sad to add this update. Just reached the 2 yr mark since my DIY build and came home to a leaking tank last night. Not sure exactly were the leak is yet but a total break down was necessary. I only lost about 3 gallons of water but that was enough to warp the trim on my stand. Looks as though my BG will need to removed as well to make repairs. Starting to wonder if GE silicone I was strong enough for a tank this size. Could have been worse but sucks just the same. :-? :-? :-?
I was not on CF in 2009 so when I saw this pop-up I thought you where currently building the tank, then I realized I am looking at a project started over 2 years ago. - It looks amazing but I am sorry to hear you have an issue.

Let us know where the leak is, possibly buy a rubber maid bin for your fish, this will give you a good amount of time to figure things out.

#105 ·
I shifted stock to my other tanks so they are comfortable and allows me all the time I need.
I resealed the tank twice actually but failed to stop the original leak first go around. Second venture proved successful until the other night right at 2 yrs. Since I will most likely need to completely strip the tank and start over I am wondering about commercial grade silicone this go round. I was very maticulous about the reseal so I'm doubting GE silicone I was the the appropriate solution for this size tank. I have had very good results using it on smaller tanks though so I thought it was up to the job, apparently not. The leak appears to be in the middle of the front bottom seal. Further testing and inspection required to be sure though.
Any recommendations for industrial silicone?
Anyone have experience with liquid rubber? Not sure if it would adhere to glass.

#106 ·
As much as I have enjoyed my DIY background I'm kind of looking forward to creating a new one. The creative process of it all is quite enjoyable (minus scraping out old silicone). Progress will probably take awhile since I don't seem to have much free time these days. I'll keep CF posted as I go.

#107 ·
Malawi_Junkie said:
I shifted stock to my other tanks so they are comfortable and allows me all the time I need.
I resealed the tank twice actually but failed to stop the original leak first go around. Second venture proved successful until the other night right at 2 yrs. Since I will most likely need to completely strip the tank and start over I am wondering about commercial grade silicone this go round. I was very maticulous about the reseal so I'm doubting GE silicone I was the the appropriate solution for this size tank. I have had very good results using it on smaller tanks though so I thought it was up to the job, apparently not. The leak appears to be in the middle of the front bottom seal. Further testing and inspection required to be sure though.
Any recommendations for industrial silicone?
Anyone have experience with liquid rubber? Not sure if it would adhere to glass.
To be honest with you, 10 year old tank left dry, I would of taken the tank completely apart stripped the seals and started from scratch -- The silicone would of not performed, especially if you just created a new layer over the pre-existing as your laying your contact points over an already degrading contact point.

#108 ·
Malawi_Junkie said:
As much as I have enjoyed my DIY background I'm kind of looking forward to creating a new one. The creative process of it all is quite enjoyable (minus scraping out old silicone). Progress will probably take awhile since I don't seem to have much free time these days. I'll keep CF posted as I go.
I hear you! I always enjoy the actual process more so than the final outcome.

On a serious note, sorry to hear about the tank.
Good luck!

#109 ·
Depending on wear the leak is located I may do just that, break the whole tank down and start from scratch that is. There are a few scratches in the Front glass that bug me even though others don't notice them. I would like to buff them out or possibly switch front and back glass. After scrapeing out all 10+ tubes of silicone holding my BG in place swapping panes may not be a viable option.
One mistake I will not make again is having caves and crannies built into my BG this has proven only to be a pain in the @#% when trying to catch a fish. I may try and salvage enough of the BG to install on a couple of back logged projects I have on hold, a 55g and 75g in the wait. Have all equipment just need more time.
All projects on hold until the wife's bathroom is complete. Yes, I gutted the master-bath just for fun. DIY TV shows got me again, they make it look soooo easy!

#112 ·
Just saw this! Sucks man, really sucks...

I could of told you about the small areas where fish could hide from you but sometimes it doesnt matter how much you try, fish will always find a place to hide from you!

Oh those DIY tv shows, they havent got me yet but only reason is because I dont have the money, not even to destroy a wall!

As far as the scratches go, maybe using the glass inside out will help as most scratches become invisible once water hits them... just a thought... Unless there are more scratches on the inside of the glass than there are on the outside...

#115 ·
Oh man wow, just saw this thread.

It was an amazing DIY job all-around. From the stand/canopy to the BG, and sump I loved it.

I'm in a 2nd-floor apt, and all I have right now is a 55 gallon running with 4 AC70s and a 10 gallon with a sponge. When I get a house in a couple years, I plan on doing something similar to your venture.

#116 ·
Malawi_Junkie:

Way late to the party that is CF and just came across this thread while researching foam backgrounds.

Did you end up pulling all the panes & replacing all silicone? What did you go with to seal the tank?

Couple Qs:
The overflows in the 220: are/were they surface only or do/did they also draw from below the surface?

Did you have any issues with designing around the weirs?

I have a 120rr that the two overflows are against the back (not in the corners) that draw from just above the substrate, midlevel & surface. My desire is to essentially hide the whole thing leaving just the inlets at each level uncovered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.