DIY - Projects & Ideas • Building an above ground pond

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Building an above ground pond

Postby magic_cichlid » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:54 pm

For those who may be interested, I'm currently in the middle of building an above ground pond in the back yard. The idea is to have a few areas dedicated to growing out cichlid fry from spring to fall. Here's the concept:

I plan to do Koi in the bottom area and use the three top areas with the cutouts for waterfalls as fry growout. The Koi can stay in the pond year-round and will keep up the bacteria colonies during the winter so that I can put fry in as soon as it gets warm enough.
magic_cichlid

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby magic_cichlid » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:59 pm

I got a little ahead of myself, so here are some pictures of where things currently stand:

Frames for main section standing in garage after completing them (I wanted to make sure they lined up).

Corner of back yard where the pond will go. As you can see I've already leveled the ground.
magic_cichlid

Postby magic_cichlid » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:04 am

I was conflicted on how to address if I needed a footing or not. The center part of the pond will be resting on the ground so there is not a weight issue, but I was concerned about the wood being in direct contact with the ground so I found an in-between way. After leveling the ground I am placing hardie planks beneath the framing. Hardie plank can handle the moisture and gives me a sturdy barrier underneath without having to pour concrete.

Pic of framing placed on hardie plank. So far so good.
magic_cichlid

Postby Woodworm » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:05 am

Interesting concept I hope it works out like you planned. I look forward to following it.
Woodworm

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:57 am

Is that pre-treated lumber? Looks like it but just wanted to be sure.

Have you thought about pouring a concrete pad to sit it on?

I think it is a great idea.....if I lived in a warm climate(I am just a bit north of texas) then I would consider something similar except I would do almost nothing but africans...
13razorbackfan

rubber liner

Postby famikert » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:12 am

are you going to be using a rubber liner to line the pond, also what type of filtration will you be using, you may want to invest in a good UV (ultraviolet) Sterilizer
famikert

Postby quentin8 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:34 am

Forget the backyard, that would look great in my living room. :thumb:
quentin8

Postby magic_cichlid » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:55 am

It is pre-treated lumber. All materials will be rated for outdoor use so that it will last. As for the concrete pad, I considered it but decided it wasn't necessary.

I will be using a rubber liner. The liner will come up and over the top edge, then will be held down by a finishing board on the top to hide it. The liner has already been ordered and will hopefully come in this week. Still haven't decided on filtration. Probably going to go with a magnetic drive pump with a prefilter attachment, though it does depend on cost...my funds are limited. :)
magic_cichlid

Postby BillD » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:56 am

I am assuming you are going to sheet the inside yet. It is difficult to tell from the pictures but the corner connections look a little sketchy. What is holding the sections together? I wonder whether the back corner needs to be braced to the center front peak to prevent bowing. Should be nice when done.
BillD

Postby magic_cichlid » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:32 pm

Ah, sorry, should have clarified. The picture of the framing laid out in the yard is just the frames placed on top of the level boards. No connections have been made yet, though the frames will be screwed together at each of the junction points. I'll be sure to get a closeup pic to show. And yes, the inside and outside will both be sheeted with hardie plank. About to go out and work more now, so hopefully I'll get far enough along to post some pics of the sheeting tonight.
magic_cichlid

Postby magic_cichlid » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:27 pm

Here are 2 pics of the corners screwed together. I used 3" wood to wood screws.

I also realized that I had to put the hardie plank on the back before screwing the frames together or I would have no room to work. In the picture below only the back corner is screwed together. Everything else is just sitting in place for effect.

magic_cichlid

Postby magic_cichlid » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:20 pm

Ran out of daylight! So far half of it is sheeted on the inside and connected, which is pictured, while the other half is sheeted and waiting for enough light to be connected. It's a tedious process, making sure that it is perfectly level before connecting them together.
magic_cichlid

Postby quentin8 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:07 am

looking good... keep us updated... :popcorn:
quentin8

Postby magic_cichlid » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:08 pm

Thanks! All sides are now connected and the inside is completely sheeted.
Looks like I have my first fish...I think it's a keeper!

Big storms come through tonight and tomorrow so progress will be delayed. Will probably update late-week or weekend depending on progress.
magic_cichlid

Postby mightyevil » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:44 pm

I am a little skeptical about how it will stand against the weather, especially in Texas (rain, hail, snow and heat). But I hope it works out (probably will). I think that with the rain the whole pond with either shift, sink an inch or two, and or become out of level. What would you do if this happens? Any way of preventing this? Perhaps a few more layers of hardy back on the bottom and not just the perimeter but the hole bottom...?

A few panes of glass would have been awesome but not cost effective...

Just some things to think about.
mightyevil

Next

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas