Aquarium Setup • Setting up my 240 gallon, step by step

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

Postby Shahlvah » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:10 am

Here it in in several takes....it is too long for my camera. The front of my tank

Shahlvah

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby ridley25 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:59 am

One almost hates to spoil it with fish! I wish you best of luck if you dive into the deep end with Discus*

Kevin

*this is not a vote against Discus. I've never kept them and they sound difficult, so congratulations on your bravery and good luck.
Malawi 125g: Labeotropheus fuelleborni, Labidochromis sp. "Hongi SRT," Metriaclima sp. "Msobo," Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei," Pseudotropheus sp. "Williamsi North," Syndodontis njassae
Tanganyika 15g: 'Lamprologus' multifasciatus species tank
ridley25

Postby 13razorbackfan » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:21 am

That looks GREAT!!! Also...you are the only other person I have seen with the same rocks I have in my tank. Those rocks will really make the fish pop. They look good with a bit of green algae growing on the tops as well.
13razorbackfan

Postby AulonoKarl » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:10 am

Those plants look great for being fake! I'm impressed. Everything looks nice. Good luck in your discus adventure!
AulonoKarl

Postby Shahlvah » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:24 am

Thank you, I will be putting more driftwood, I have two more pieces that are soaking right now, the rock is Colorado River rock, and yes, all the plants are plastic, from a very well known craft store, they where buried under a pile of silk plants, there were spiders all over the place....but I got a little courage, and this is the result.
I appreciate all your comments.
240g- 50 g sump + FX5 Tetras , Discus, Fancy plecos
100 g FX5 .
8 Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Msuli)
10 Labeotropheus trewavasae ''Red Top''
10 Metriaclima sp. Long Pelvic Mdoka
10 Pseudotropheus socolofi
10 Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos Maingano
Shahlvah

Postby 13razorbackfan » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:22 am

Shahlvah wrote:Thank you, I will be putting more driftwood, I have two more pieces that are soaking right now, the rock is Colorado River rock, and yes, all the plants are plastic, from a very well known craft store, they where buried under a pile of silk plants, there were spiders all over the place....but I got a little courage, and this is the result.
I appreciate all your comments.
Yep...I got my colorado river rock for .20lb and he had pallets of them. I am thinking about going back and getting some larger ones with more purple.
13razorbackfan

Postby Shahlvah » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:01 am

When I went to the rock yard he had pretty awesome ones, big ones, but I couldn't carry them or lift them up, then I thought...if I have to lift them, climb the ladder and then lean over to put the rocks on the bottom of the tank, I guess is not a smart idea to get what I can not even lift...LOL, I am going back this Saturday, my guy had them for .17c a pound, I will get medium and smaller ones, just to finish the look. You can not tell in the picture, but my rock has speckles of purple and pink, pretty nice....
100 g FX5 .
Shahlvah

Postby 13razorbackfan » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:24 am

Shahlvah wrote:When I went to the rock yard he had pretty awesome ones, big ones, but I couldn't carry them or lift them up, then I thought...if I have to lift them, climb the ladder and then lean over to put the rocks on the bottom of the tank, I guess is not a smart idea to get what I can not even lift...LOL, I am going back this Saturday, my guy had them for .17c a pound, I will get medium and smaller ones, just to finish the look. You can not tell in the picture, but my rock has speckles of purple and pink, pretty nice....
Yeah...I had a hard time getting mine to show up well with my el cheapo camera.
13razorbackfan

Postby lilcountrygal » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:10 am

That tank looks absolutely amazing :o
55 G - AC110 and AquaTech 30/60 ~ 5 yellow Labs, 5 Callainos, 5 Callainos Blueberry, 5 Rusty
125 G - XP4 and AquaTop CF-500UV - 5 Pseudotropheus Williamsi North, 5 Labeotropheus Fuelleborni, 4 Lab. Hongi, 4 C. Moori, 1 Acei Ngara, Red Empress, Venustus
lilcountrygal

Postby Shahlvah » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:47 am

Well my camara is my phone camara...nothing more. I think it even does video, I should try.
The tank has changed, I put the driftwood in, pictures to come, the water got all cloudy...is this normal?
Shahlvah

Postby moneygetter1 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:37 pm

The tank has changed, I put the driftwood in, pictures to come, the water got all cloudy...is this normal?

:popcorn: yep, it'll settlle in a day or so. sometimes W/C is necessary but nothing to lose sleep over. Amazing job so far (you spent our money well) lol lol. Can't wait for the "SHOW"!!!! "T"
Cardinal, Neon & Pristella Tetra - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
125gl TENECOR, Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500s,2 300w Jager
"KNOWLEDGE GAINED & NOT SHARED IS KNOWLEDGE LOST"
moneygetter1

Postby Shahlvah » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:17 pm

I haven't finish yet....LOL here are so more pictures....

These are some of the 100 cardinals

[/img]http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj590/Shahlvah/240-1.jpg[img]

And a baby cory cat, cute....
100 g FX5 .
Shahlvah

Postby moneygetter1 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:07 pm

WOWOW!!!! Luv the baby. lol
Similar project in the works but much smaller scale.

Not quite ready for discus yet but it's getting there.
moneygetter1

Postby Shahlvah » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:11 pm

I love that you have real plants, I wanted that in the beginning, but I had to get real, all those hours at work, discus and natural plants....I will need a day with 48 hours...LOL so I opted for the plastic ones, still I will have to was and scrub, but that is fine....
I like your setting and the rams....I want to add rams too, is that a German Blue ram?
Shahlvah

Postby moneygetter1 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:50 pm

:popcorn: Yep. There are some ghost shrimp in there somewhere (I just saw one scamper by) & 1 spotted , 1 striped raphael cat. I hear you on the xtra work w/ live plants. I want them to get a bit more established but I think I'll be ok. "T"
moneygetter1

PreviousNext

Return to Aquarium Setup