Lake Malawi Species • Should I make changes to my 125?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Should I make changes to my 125?

Postby lilcountrygal » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:15 pm

Minus the missing background... I cant decide if I like it or not. It will house mostly mbuna. I have a couple c moorii to add and some OB peacocks.

Left side:

Right side:

tank shot:
55 G - AC110 and AquaTech 30/60 ~ 5 yellow Labs, 5 Callainos, 5 Callainos Blueberry, 5 Rusty
125 G - XP4 and AquaTop CF-500UV - 5 Pseudotropheus Williamsi North, 5 Labeotropheus Fuelleborni, 4 Lab. Hongi, 4 C. Moori, 1 Acei Ngara, Red Empress, Venustus
lilcountrygal

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby ridley25 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:41 pm

Looks like a decent start. What's you're hoped-for stock list?

kevin
Malawi 125g: Labeotropheus fuelleborni, Labidochromis sp. "Hongi SRT," Metriaclima sp. "Msobo," Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei," Pseudotropheus sp. "Williamsi North," Syndodontis njassae
Tanganyika 15g: 'Lamprologus' multifasciatus species tank
ridley25

Postby DJRansome » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:28 pm

Love the rocks. I like all the plants except that hairgrass looking bright green one in front. That one bothers me for some reason...I think it would look good without it.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Treve » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:07 pm

Great job with the rocks it looks really good, Just wondering when your fish reach adult size will they fit in the caves?.
What type of rocks are they?
Treve

Postby DanniGirl » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:19 pm

Looks neat! I like how you situated the rocks in the tank; they look natural. :thumb:

However, since it is a critique, :wink: , I'm going to be a picky. I agree with DJ about the plant in the center and I also think the plant near the far left of the tank (in the first shot) doesn't really fit. On the other hand, the tall grass you have the far right looks awesome! Any chance you can swap the smaller pieces for more of those plants?

Obviously you're not going to please everybody and at the end of that day, it's your tank. Overall, it looks great. =D>
DanniGirl

Postby 13razorbackfan » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:32 pm

DJRansome wrote:Love the rocks. I like all the plants except that hairgrass looking bright green one in front. That one bothers me for some reason...I think it would look good without it.
LOL....I totally agree...that type plant always looks out of place to me.

Other than that it looks very natural the way the rocks are stacked and they are going to pop under lights. It looks very good so far. I like it!
13razorbackfan

Postby BullyBuddies » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:21 am

I like your set-up and agree with the the previous replies. I prefer multiple piles vs one pile of rocks, but yours still looks great. I cant wait to see it finished and stocked. :popcorn:
55 gallon
Saulosi, Red Zebras, Syno. Multis

55 gallon
Msobo and Chewere
BullyBuddies

Postby DIAMOND_CICHLIDS » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:59 am

I like it, it looks great! :thumb: I like the green grass plants unllike the others lol... The one that i like less are the green & white ones on the left... :P Really like your rock set up
70 gallons: cyno. Sp haras, labido sp perlmutt, pseudo saulosi
6 gallon
125 gallons : mixed malawi males

http://www.youtube.com/user/StraightFlint?feature=mhee

Please excuse my french :p
DIAMOND_CICHLIDS

Postby lilcountrygal » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:30 am

The green hairgrass plants are officially gone lol... or moved to behind the rock pile. I was torn on them. I just feel like its "missing" something.

I love that tall plant in the back right too. The caves will be good for a while, when they're adults, about half will be too small. I have no doubt Ill have to tear it all down at least once before they're grown anyway lol.

Ridley... Im keeping mbuna, mostly. I have a couple OB peacocks and c moorii, but the rest will be mbuna.
55 G - AC110 and AquaTech 30/60 ~ 5 yellow Labs, 5 Callainos, 5 Callainos Blueberry, 5 Rusty
125 G - XP4 and AquaTop CF-500UV - 5 Pseudotropheus Williamsi North, 5 Labeotropheus Fuelleborni, 4 Lab. Hongi, 4 C. Moori, 1 Acei Ngara, Red Empress, Venustus
lilcountrygal

Postby AulonoKarl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:23 am

Looks great. I agree that the grass in front looked out of place, but you said you fixed that. I personally really like grass, I just always make sure it goes behind something. It's a better accent than a main focus.
You did well.
AulonoKarl

Postby JSI » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:41 am

Needs water....................and fish. :lol:

I like it, should look great with subtle lighting.
JSI

Postby ryencok3 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:21 pm

:popcorn:
ryencok3

Postby ridley25 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:19 pm

Looks like a good set up for mbuna. Seems to lots of caves and spaces. I you wer up for it, a break or two in the structure with more high, vertical rocks in between would create some sightings breaks, which are often as good or better than caves.

Kevin
Malawi 125g: Labeotropheus fuelleborni, Labidochromis sp. "Hongi SRT," Metriaclima sp. "Msobo," Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei," Pseudotropheus sp. "Williamsi North," Syndodontis njassae
Tanganyika 15g: 'Lamprologus' multifasciatus species tank
ridley25

Return to Lake Malawi Species