Lake Malawi Species • Labeotropheus fuelleborni

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Postby why_spyder » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:28 pm

Sexing easy depends on the bloodline. A bloodline with known OB males and females, or known standard coloration males and females will be very hard to sex. A bloodline with just standard males and OB females will be easy.
www.Cynotilapia.info - Looking for Cynotilapia species...
why_spyder

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby lilcountrygal » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:35 pm

so, basically, if my LFS orders these, and has 10 swimming in a tank, its a #%$& shoot? Or would I look for faint color... or longer fins.... I know most of the time venting is the only sure fire way of getting male, but if Im looking at a tank of them in my LFS, is there anything that will give me an edge? slight coloration?
55 G - AC110 and AquaTech 30/60 ~ 5 yellow Labs, 5 Callainos, 5 Callainos Blueberry, 5 Rusty
125 G - XP4 and AquaTop CF-500UV - 5 Pseudotropheus Williamsi North, 5 Labeotropheus Fuelleborni, 4 Lab. Hongi, 4 C. Moori, 1 Acei Ngara, Red Empress, Venustus
lilcountrygal

Postby Ver A » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:59 pm

I keep fuelleborni along with red zebras in a 75. The tank has at least 20 grown fuelleborni (3 male) and 7 or 8 adult red zebras. It is very common for them to spawn in the tank and for many young to make it until I decide to remove them. My Katale fuelleborni are about 6 inches, the dominant male is ob and two of his sons are the regular solid males.They are also breeding now as the old man is 3 or 4 years old now. My experience with them is that any that have blue on them are males. This is true 99 percent of the time. I would not recommend putting a male fuelleborni in a tank with peacocks. He will aggressively dominate the tank. If he isn't dominate he will not show good coloring. My tank has layed limestone and sandstone with lots of hiding place. My 8 inch pleco also resides in there. He gets into it with the old male sometimes. I find the crowding good and use a canister as well as a hob filter. The tank gets a quick vaccuum every other day.
This was my first African tank, I now have 20 plus tanks, I am retired and enjoy puttering daily with my fish.
Ver A

Postby DJRansome » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:14 am

I'd either buy an adult sexed male or buy a bunch of juveniles and raise them until you can ID a male and sell the rest to a hobbyist. :thumb:
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby lilcountrygal » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:54 am

Sounds good. I may do that (buy a bunch) unless I see something in the tank that has tons of blue. I'm not even sold on the Marmalade actually, but I have to say... they are gorgeous! Thanks for the tips! :thumb:
55 G - AC110 and AquaTech 30/60 ~ 5 yellow Labs, 5 Callainos, 5 Callainos Blueberry, 5 Rusty
125 G - XP4 and AquaTop CF-500UV - 5 Pseudotropheus Williamsi North, 5 Labeotropheus Fuelleborni, 4 Lab. Hongi, 4 C. Moori, 1 Acei Ngara, Red Empress, Venustus
lilcountrygal

Postby Steffano2 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:51 pm

why_spyder wrote:Sexing easy depends on the bloodline. A bloodline with known OB males and females, or known standard coloration males and females will be very hard to sex. A bloodline with just standard males and OB females will be easy.

Spyder don't you have a video of your Fulls breeding you could share? It would be nice for the OP to see it.
Steffano2

Postby lilcountrygal » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:41 pm

yes, Spyder, I would LOVE to see that! :o

Also, if someone can help me clear up some confusion. (Not sure if I can post a picture from a vendors website or not, so I wont). The picture on livefishdirect.com under "Marmalade Fuelliborni" is what I want... there are blotches, but they are faint. I like the yellow/purple light spot of that picture. When I google "Marmalade fuelleborni", I get more of an OB, blotchy fish that doesnt particularly look like livefishdirect's fish. Are there fish that really look like that or is that just an excellent photo used by a site to sell a particular fish? I dont want to order it and get a darkly blotched fish.. (I have OB Zebras, looking for OB Blueberry zebras, and have OB blueberry peacocks... I like blotch, but I dont want more).
lilcountrygal

Postby DrgRcr » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:35 pm

Here's a vid I did of mine spawning over a year ago. Blue male, OB female. You can see her grab an egg at the :53 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMOXAsfv ... ature=plcp
125g Mbuna-Labs,Rusties,Acei,Afra,Fuelleborni, Syno Multi
72g All Male Peacock/Hap
55g-WC Metriaclima Elongatus Chailosi
20g Tang.- L. Multifasciatus
40br,20g,10g,5.5g-Various fry/growouts
DrgRcr

Postby why_spyder » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:04 pm

why_spyder

Postby lilcountrygal » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:09 pm

Thanks! I'll check it out later this evening (that particular website is blocked from my work computer).

does anyone have any insight on my question on Livefishdirects picture vs. Marmalade Cat? Not sure what I need to ask for to get something that looks like their stock photo.
lilcountrygal

Postby why_spyder » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:35 pm

If you don't want more blotchiness, then I wouldn't buy OB's. It's hard to say what you'll get from LFD simply because what they are selling is a 'domestic strain' - the variability of coloration could be all over the board. Also, it is hard to say if the photos they are using on their site are of their stock - they may have bought the rights to use someone else's photo as an example of what their stock could look like.

If you buy locale-specific species, you can get a better idea of what to expect for coloration (i.e. - when I bought Katale Island's, I knew the males should have orange and blue coloration.).
why_spyder

Postby lilcountrygal » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:07 pm

Thanks, spyder. so, if I ask for a regular Fuelleborni male, I should get closer to what the stock photo is on LFD? I think what had me confused is that picture is listed under their Marmalade cat.

I think I'll head back over to the profile section and see if I can find a locale-specific species instead of just general Fuelleborni.
lilcountrygal

Postby Steffano2 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:14 am

Have you looked at the fuelleborni that Dave's has pictured?
Steffano2

Postby why_spyder » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:17 am

If you were to ask for a 'regular male' Lab. fuelleborni - you would get one with no blotching, which there is none on that site. Anytime the name 'marmalade cat' is used, it is describing that the fish have blotching.

I have no idea what the 'domestic strain' regular coloration is, but I can't imagine it would be as pretty or consistent throughout the strain as buying by a specific location.
why_spyder

Previous

Return to Lake Malawi Species