Aquarium Setup • Eco-complete gravel and cycling?

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

Eco-complete gravel and cycling?

Postby dgreco1602 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:16 pm

With eco-complete gravel do I need to cycle a new tank? Should I add ammonia to the tank while I'mwaiting to add fish? I just addes a HOB filter from previous tank to the we-tdry filter. HOB was still active until I moved it? Should I add ammonia and do the tests?
dgreco1602

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby GTZ » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:00 pm

Might as well, it'll give you a good indicator of how much your bio can handle as it sits. Add 1-2 ppm ammonia.
Is the sand Eco-Complete Cichlid? Caribsea says it speeds up cycling, whether or not it actually does anything is another story. Haven't used it myself so I can't say.
75G L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.) | Ps. demasoni | Met. greshakei
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Yes African cichlid gravel.

Postby dgreco1602 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:04 pm

I have a 180 gal tan with a 75 gallon sump with about 65 gallons in it. How much ammonia should I add?
dgreco1602

Postby jd lover » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:20 am

2ppm is what most add during a fishless cycle regarding the tank size as it has more to do with stock size is to my understanding
no medicine works better than clean water.
no such thing as too much clean water, so go do a water change now.
jd lover

Postby dsouthworth » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:14 am

I added 15mL to cycle about 120 gallons of water and this got it to about 2ppm

Add maybe 20mL, wait an hour or so and test the water. Add more accordingly. I'd think 20mL should be good.

On a side note, if you have 65 gallons of water in the sump, and only 75g tank. How much extra room do you have in there when you turn off the power and it back flows? I hope you're being safe over there!!
140 gallon is now running!
and a beta in a gumball machine..
dsouthworth

Postby GTZ » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:11 am

dsouthworth wrote:I added 15mL to cycle about 120 gallons of water and this got it to about 2ppm

Add maybe 20mL, wait an hour or so and test the water. Add more accordingly. I'd think 20mL should be good.

On a side note, if you have 65 gallons of water in the sump, and only 75g tank. How much extra room do you have in there when you turn off the power and it back flows? I hope you're being safe over there!!

Agreed, 19-20ml is what I came up with using an online calculator.
For 245g @ 2ppm using 9.5% ammonia.
75G L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.) | Ps. demasoni | Met. greshakei
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby prov356 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:49 am

eco-complete gravel

I don't recall anyone having any luck with these substrates that supposedly harbor nitrifying bacteria to speed up cycling. Let us know how it goes for you.
prov356

Return to Aquarium Setup