Lake Malawi Species • Labeotropheus fuelleborni

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Labeotropheus fuelleborni

Postby lilcountrygal » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:23 pm

Anyone have these? I did a search and, from what I read, you should either go 1 or a ton. Males are super aggressive towards the females. I wouldnt mind having one. I'd like to get the OB version (are those Marmalade's or are all fuelleborni known as Marmalades).

Just wanted to see what others have them thought. Id like to put one in my 125, but I'll have fairly peaceful mbuna (c. moorii, maybe a few peacocks, peaceful mbuna) in there. If dont mind skipping this one, but his I like the look of them.
55 G - AC110 and AquaTech 30/60 ~ 5 yellow Labs, 5 Callainos, 5 Callainos Blueberry, 5 Rusty
125 G - XP4 and AquaTop CF-500UV - 5 Pseudotropheus Williamsi North, 5 Labeotropheus Fuelleborni, 4 Lab. Hongi, 4 C. Moori, 1 Acei Ngara, Red Empress, Venustus
lilcountrygal

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby DrgRcr » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:06 pm

I have them, as well as a bunch of juveniles growing out. I've never seen them be persistently aggressive to each other beyond some chasing now and then, and I have 5 males and 2 females in my 125. Only male ob's are called Marmalade Cats. Probably not the best idea to keep them or most other mbuna with peacocks and haps though.
125g Mbuna-Labs,Rusties,Acei,Afra,Fuelleborni, Syno Multi
72g All Male Peacock/Hap
55g-WC Metriaclima Elongatus Chailosi
20g Tang.- L. Multifasciatus
40br,20g,10g,5.5g-Various fry/growouts
DrgRcr

Postby GaFishMan1181 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:12 pm

I bought some wild caught fish from cichid exchange years ago. They were $25 a fish but were very large and beautiful. The location I got were katale. My male mated with each female once and eventually killed every single female. I still have the male. He is 6" long and very beautiful and surprisingly peaceful to other species.

Marmalade just means a male OB fuelleborni but alot of times you will never know what location the marmalade is from or if it is even true to just one location or a cross of two different locations of fuelleborni.

Its hard to know how he will act to your fish but if you get a smaller one he would probably be ok. My fuelleborni has only gone crazy on one mbuna male and it was a pearlmutt but it was my fault for introducing the perlmutt by himself and not with other fish.
GaFishMan1181

Postby lilcountrygal » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:11 pm

I'm aware of mixing the peacocks/mbuna. I'm only going for a couple peacocks, maybe more aggressive types to fit with the peaceful mbuna. I accidentally ended up with OB Blueberry peacocks (ordered blueberry ZEBRAS, got these instead). I have them temporarily housed in my 55 with zebras, labs, Rustys... they hold their own. I'm not entirely sold on the peacocks anyway. Mbuna are my favorites.... i just love the finnage on the peacocks. But, I wont buy a fish just to watch it get beat... so the peacocks will be well planned out, and possibly cancelled.

I may try a single Marmalade. He wasnt on my original stocking list, but I'm searching for someone who has either a) Williamsi North or b) Blueberry ZEBRAS in stock and came across him and he's gorgeous.

Thanks for the replies. The search I did found posts a few years old and it said male terrorized the females (reminded me of Demasoni), so... after the replies, I may just try one.

Having problems finding any in stock on the regular sites I visit (only one male left as of now, not ready to order just yet). If you decide to sell your fry and ship, shoot me a PM :D
55 G - AC110 and AquaTech 30/60 ~ 5 yellow Labs, 5 Callainos, 5 Callainos Blueberry, 5 Rusty
125 G - XP4 and AquaTop CF-500UV - 5 Pseudotropheus Williamsi North, 5 Labeotropheus Fuelleborni, 4 Lab. Hongi, 4 C. Moori, 1 Acei Ngara, Red Empress, Venustus
lilcountrygal

Postby reiko1897 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:13 pm

These guys have jaws of steal :fish: :dancing:
reiko1897

Postby DrgRcr » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:41 pm

lilcountrygal wrote:I'm aware of mixing the peacocks/mbuna. I'm only going for a couple peacocks, maybe more aggressive types to fit with the peaceful mbuna. I accidentally ended up with OB Blueberry peacocks (ordered blueberry ZEBRAS, got these instead). I have them temporarily housed in my 55 with zebras, labs, Rustys... they hold their own. I'm not entirely sold on the peacocks anyway. Mbuna are my favorites.... i just love the finnage on the peacocks. But, I wont buy a fish just to watch it get beat... so the peacocks will be well planned out, and possibly cancelled.

I may try a single Marmalade. He wasnt on my original stocking list, but I'm searching for someone who has either a) Williamsi North or b) Blueberry ZEBRAS in stock and came across him and he's gorgeous.

Thanks for the replies. The search I did found posts a few years old and it said male terrorized the females (reminded me of Demasoni), so... after the replies, I may just try one.

Having problems finding any in stock on the regular sites I visit (only one male left as of now, not ready to order just yet). If you decide to sell your fry and ship, shoot me a PM :D

Once the fry get at or just over an inch, that's when I start to sell them. I do ship as well. It may take a little longer to differentiate male ob from female ob though.
72g All Male Peacock/Hap
DrgRcr

Postby why_spyder » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:41 am

I currently have a breeding group in our 125g. While they are kinda abusive towards one another (not just male on female), it seldom results in any injury.
www.Cynotilapia.info - Looking for Cynotilapia species...
why_spyder

Postby lilcountrygal » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:47 am

Once the fry get at or just over an inch, that's when I start to sell them. I do ship as well. It may take a little longer to differentiate male ob from female ob though.

one thing I didnt look at... are the males and females that different in coloration? Im not sold on a definite male, unless the coloring is completely different. The picture I saw that I like is on livefishdirect.com. Is that a Marmalade?
lilcountrygal

Postby Steffano2 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:42 pm

why_spyder wrote:I currently have a breeding group in our 125g. While they are kinda abusive towards one another (not just male on female), it seldom results in any injury.

+1, I never found them to be the killers everyone made them out to be. I will say they fall into the Mbuna cow category, you cannot feed them enough. They also get large, my MC male grew to be about 8". I personally like the slimmer body style of Labeotropheus trewavasae better.
Steffano2

Postby iwade4fish » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:51 pm

8" sounds right for WC, my 'Katale' is right about there.
Get yourself some Labeo., you'll be happy you did!!!
iwade4fish

Postby AlphaWild » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:40 pm

Just thought I would add this point, since I was recently searching hi and lo before I found mine. Even though "marmelade cat" properly refers to an OB male, different sellers may throw the term around willy-nilly to anything blotchy, so, buyer beware. I purchased "regular" colored male and OB female juvies from a local hobbyist. He says roughly 20% of his male fry are OB.
AlphaWild

Postby DrgRcr » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:38 pm

lilcountrygal wrote:

one thing I didnt look at... are the males and females that different in coloration? Im not sold on a definite male, unless the coloring is completely different. The picture I saw that I like is on livefishdirect.com. Is that a Marmalade?

With my group at least, the male OB's are more of a blueberry/yellow colored blotch, while the females are more of a black/orange blotch.
72g All Male Peacock/Hap
DrgRcr

Postby magic10 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:42 pm

Yes the picture on livefishdirect.com is a true one. I have one in a all male mbuna tank and he is pretty peaceful but he will finish a fight though..great fish
magic10

Postby Skallekaj » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:25 pm

I like these fish - - even tough they should probably be kept in a tank bigger han my 250L - Im still stuck with my starting group 2m5f - and i have no problem with agression and they will be close to 3 years old now and fully matured.

I have a normal and a MC male - but never got a MC juvenile from the 2 times i picked holding female to spitting tank. All females are OB.

http://vimeo.com/28005530 -

But definately the best protecting and carefull fish when attending the fry! :thumb:
Skallekaj

Postby lilcountrygal » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:10 pm

Awesome video!! thanks for sharing!

I'm gonna have my LFS order these if they are available (wont order them online unless I have to). Is there a way to tell males from females at, say, 1.5-2 inches?
lilcountrygal

Next

Return to Lake Malawi Species