Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Acei Ratio

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  DrgRcr 
#1 ·
Would the ratio of 5m;4f be horrible for Aceis?

I bought them not knowing what their sex was, but found out later they were all males. Trying to add some females, but not sure if this will work. I read that the ratio doesn't matter, but to this extreme?

#2 ·
It may not. I would sit back and monitor the situation as opposed to pulling your hair out trying to buy more females at this point.

Acei have a peaceful reputation but I've not had them long enough to say that it's earned.

kevin

#5 ·
In that case I agree with kevins answer. Prob not a disaster, more females would be good though.
No rush.

All the best James

#7 ·
I find Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Ngara) to be quite a lot more aggressive than the others.

Funny as the profiles say

Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Msuli)
Temperament: Mildly Aggressive
Conspecific Temperament: Mildly Aggressive

Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Ngara)
Temperament: Peaceful

Wish my Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Ngara) males could read :)

#9 ·
I had trouble with multiple males with both acei and labs. Also, unless you have a 72" species acei tank, I would trade the extra males for females and shoot for 1m:5f.

If they are small they will be fine for a couple of weeks.

How are you sexing them?

You can definitely sit back and wait for trouble to start...you don't have to act in advance.

#10 ·
The originals are sexed based on both venting and how they appear (Mostly dorsal fin).

They are not really small, 3-4 inches. I can take some extra males out and stick them in my 55g Ndumbi species tank, but it is not a long term thing =/.

They are currently in a 5 foot 120g.

#13 ·
DJRansome said:
So I am assuming you don't want 25 acei (1m:4f and keeping your 5 males). :thumb:
Correct.
I have a lot of extra tank, I'm just not sure how I want to shuffle everything around, and some of the acei's have a downward facing tail, so I wasn't planning on breeding them anyway. There are only two males I want to breed, and the others would be put into a different tank. I just don't have that tank set up yet...

#14 ·
i have 2 and 2 myself. everybody seems to get along just fine. got a cpl more growing out but these 4 are massive adults. got em free from a local guy and wanted to up the numbers. theyre kinda boring TBH just swimming back and forth all day every day rofl. but they do keep the little guys in check.. (sheer size) just thought id toss in my experience with em.

#15 ·
24Tropheus said:
I find Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Ngara) to be quite a lot more aggressive than the others.

Funny as the profiles say

Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Msuli)
Temperament: Mildly Aggressive

Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Ngara)
Temperament: Peaceful

Wish my Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Ngara) males could read :)
I have noticed this with male to female aggresion and have heard of male to male aggresion that is worse.. +1

#18 ·
I think you're talking about the OB Labeotropheus Fuelleborni. Not really black and white though. Females are usually more orange/black, while the males are more of a blueberry blotch. Could just be the way it looks in the vid though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.