Cichlid Fish Forum banner

labs holding?

262 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  GTZ 
#1 ·
we bought for yellow labs from fish store and two of them look like there mouths are full and they don't eat. does that mean they have eggs in there mouth?

And if so i don't know what to do so can someone help me?

#2 ·
From the sounds of it, you have two holding females. If you can see black in the mouth and throat, it'll mean that they are pretty well along as those will be the eyeballs.

You have two real options as a beginner.

1. Let them spit when they are ready in the main tank. Some will be eaten and the strongest will survive.

2. Put them in a breeder net or seperate tank to spit the babies into for better survival rate.

The one issue with fry from an already holding female is that you do not know what the father is for sure, they could be hybrid fry. For that reason most hobbyists will tell you to let them spit in the main tank and get eaten. If you plan on keeping the fry for your own tanks and not selling them as they could be hybrids though, Some will do that.

You'll have to do your research on why hybridization hurts the hobby and decide your own stance on it =)

I myself buy holding females when I see them but not because of the fry themselves, I do it because you guarantee yourself a mature female when you buy a holding one =)

#5 ·
brandon O said:
well they were in a tank of yellow labs so the chance are pretty good that they are not hybrids but idk.

are males like really yellow compared to the females
The only issue with assuming here though would be that most shops get shipments every week and there is no telling whether the female was shipped while holding or that it bred there in the shops tank. You could try talking to the manager/owner of the shop you bought them and see when the last shipment of Yellow Labs was and see how long it takes for her to spit the fry and use that time frame along with the last shipment date to determine the chances of them being pure =) If it works out that they are pure then you really lucked out! You'll make your money back with the fry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.