Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Acei shedding

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  SNDMN8Z 
#1 ·
Looks like ALL of my Acei are sick, but everyone else is healthy. Looks like their scales are peeling. Are they prone to illnesses other cichlids aren't?

#4 ·
I have had groups do this a lot right when they came from the supplier. Where it looks like the scales are peeling: I suspected velvet disease in my groups.

Other people have said to me that in their experience, Acei are more susceptible to ich than other mbuna.

#5 ·
Well they are not normal Mbuna. I read they are found in groups of 3 to 7 in the sandy areas near tree trunks or branches. I guess a fully all action Mbuna tank with scratchy rocks and stuff like Pseudotropheus demasoni is sometimes too much for them to cope with.

Any chance of a photo?

All the best James

#6 ·
mattawan_cichlid said:
I had a kenyi who did that but it was from aggression from the male what tankmates are there and what size tank?
Dems, Labs, and Acei, about 10/ea, and 2 small Rusties. Tank is a 125g. The large male actually had the signs before the females and smaller male, and NOBODY in the tank messes with him.

#7 ·
riverpaws said:
I have had groups do this a lot right when they came from the supplier. Where it looks like the scales are peeling: I suspected velvet disease in my groups.

Other people have said to me that in their experience, Acei are more susceptible to ich than other mbuna.
Would an Ich treatment also treat Velvet disease? I have just enough time after work to catch the pet store before they close. Already started Melafix treatment in the meantime.

#8 ·
From an article I saved a while back:

Treating skin parasite problems
Fortunately, numerous over-the-counter remedies are available. Most types of skin parasite have life cycles that include free-living stages in the water or substrate â€â€

#9 ·
Usually I think ich treatments treat velvet too, though I have read that copper treatment is the best for velvet. If you can get chelated instead of ionic, that is better. Mardel coppersafe is one I have used in the past. It is non-staining and the fish don't seem as bothered by it as some of the other protozoan parasite treatments I've used.

#10 ·
My ACEI's did the same thing when I brought them home fro mthe LFS. That is when my ICH outbreak happened and 7 of them died. My LAbs were not affected. After 10 days of treatment (salt/high heat) the 4 that are still living are prospering and all the Labs have made it through as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.