Cichlid Fish Forum banner

rate the the tank above you!!!

1M views 3K replies 1K participants last post by  Discusluv 
#1 ·
scale for 1 to 10 ..rate the tank above you....then post the pic of your tank for the next one to rate and keep this post going... :thumb:
[/img]

See less See more
#2,254 ·
Charden said:
strat guy said:
6, sorry, but I can't stand aquarium ornaments... :D

The blackwater dims the tank so much its super hard to get a decent shot! Stock list is in the sig.

@Cjcichlid- I hear ya! Too many african setups!
I give it a solid 9. Love the red look.
Here is my Tang setup
Solid 9. LOVE the background!

Here's mine.... 55 gallon African Mbuna.. Rustys, Zebras, yellow labs.

#2,255 ·
strat guy said:
6, sorry, but I can't stand aquarium ornaments... :D

The blackwater dims the tank so much its super hard to get a decent shot! Stock list is in the sig.

@Cjcichlid- I hear ya! Too many african setups!
Ah, another American! :D Love the blackwater look! All it needs is a black background.

To take more "true to life" pics, try turning off all the lights in the room (which it looks like you did) and then lowering the exposure compensation. Not sure what kind of camera you are using but this can be done multiple ways.

#2,256 ·
CjCichlid said:
Ah, another American! :D Love the blackwater look! All it needs is a black background.

To take more "true to life" pics, try turning off all the lights in the room (which it looks like you did) and then lowering the exposure compensation. Not sure what kind of camera you are using but this can be done multiple ways.
Yeah, all the lights were turned off, my exposure was set to neutral. I have to keep my shutter open longer because even with the aquarium lights on, the blackwater really does darken the tank a ton. With a faster shutter setting I just couldn't get anything in the tank to show up. Even this is dark, I think.

You think black would look good for a background? I was looking at painting it but thought maybe dark brown might be better. I'm afraid of black being too "solid."

#2,257 ·
Ah gotcha, I'm still experimenting with taking pics myself. I am only using a Cannon point and shoot so unfortunately I'm not capturing anything to stellar. I can however change the shutter speed, ISO, and F-stop which is nice.

You make a good point about a solid black background... With the blackwater effect, black may look a bit weird. A darker brown or even maybe a brownish/red or dark green may look good. I would paint a piece of poster board with a few different colors then choose the one you like best. It would suck to paint the back then not be happy with it. :roll:

#2,258 ·
CjCichlid said:
Ah gotcha, I'm still experimenting with taking pics myself. I am only using a Cannon point and shoot so unfortunately I'm not capturing anything to stellar. I can however change the shutter speed, ISO, and F-stop which is nice.

You make a good point about a solid black background... With the blackwater effect, black may look a bit weird. A darker brown or even maybe a brownish/red or dark green may look good. I would paint a piece of poster board with a few different colors then choose the one you like best. It would suck to paint the back then not be happy with it. :roll:
+1 :thumb: I love the idea of doing the poster board it should work fabulously for anyone wanting to change their background

#2,259 ·
A while back I told my daughter that if she got good grades and did her chores she would earn an aquarium of her own. She loves my Oscars and wanted one of her own so I told her she had to earn it. She's worked hard, her grades have improved, and for the most part she does what she's asked without too much complaining...lol

This is her first one. I found it on Craigslist for $60 and it included everything needed to set it back up fairly quickly...including the fish. Its a 4ft 55 gallon.

Go easy on her, she's only 11. I've already warned her about the fake plants. I let her set most of it up herself.

There are 6 African Cichlids and one fry. There's also 2 small Plecos.

At the moment, this is the only one I can get a picture of. The rest scatter when I approach the tank.

#2,260 ·
+1 Thumb I love the idea of doing the poster board it should work fabulously for anyone wanting to change their background
I had meant to use the poster board just for reference, then paint the back but you could use poster board for the length of the tank. I actually use felt and velcro it to the back. Works great! :thumb:

#2,262 ·
Resubmitting mine, I think it got lost in the mix :)

[/quote]

#2,265 ·
looks really great.

Hey some of those fish look familiar
LOL... Those guys are the personality of the tank!! I could watch them for HOURS. I just added them right before this picture was taken (been in quarantine until I had an ich outbreak taken care of). I have been dying to see them swimming around the main tank. Mama is my new favorite, only cause I thought she was a goner :D

#2,266 ·
S14Swap240sx
At first I was going to say I didn't like being able to see through the tank to the signage, but then I realized since I can read it it must be reflecting off a window that is in front of the tank. I like the big rocks and background, and the lighting looks neat too, but I don't see any fish :-?

I'll give it a 7 but might just need better pics.

Rescaped my tank last night. Before pic from a few pages back:

After:

I really like it, more than any other scape in any of my tanks. It might be too many rocks for the moorii once they get bigger, but the labs and the multipuncs really like it right now ;)

#2,267 ·
The rescape looks great! I like the height that the new set up gives the tank - feels less "empty". I give it a solid 7.

Here is mine - fish will be coming on Friday. I like the fullness of the tank, lots of hiding places and I think it's a pretty natural looking scape. What do you think?

#2,268 ·
gilberbt said:
Jarrods - Nice setup I would give it a 7.5. I like the split layout of half rock and shells, maybe try hiding the tubes(black ones)\heater more and I personally like the rocks not stacked that hight but its very nice.

Here is the latest redo to my setup. I just switched from mixed to black sand and gave up on live plants and switched back to fake silk ones.

Very nice! :thumb:

#2,275 ·

pic is a bit fuzzy phone camera sorry =p lol its a room divider-ish lol our living rooms a bit big so we have a little area for the dogs and a computer disk. (which does n good since the laptop is never there lol)

#2,276 ·
Is that a room-divider tank? I love using tanks as room dividers! They can be so difficult to decorate, though, since a background won't ever be an option.

Considering how happy your discus look, your tanks deserves a 7.
Are those your heaters that you placed low-down along each end? That's a good idea, hides them somewhat.

Perhaps some more, tall plants, like a spiral vallisneria? The driftwood is also very regularly spaced at 1/4 intervals. They are very nice pieces, though!

Alright, now here's my malawi work-in-progress (fair is fair :D).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.