Illness, Health & Nutrition • My JD is sick, but not sure what it is or how to treat

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderators: Robin, GTZ

My JD is sick, but not sure what it is or how to treat

Postby pnw4 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:59 pm

I have had my JD for a little over a year now. I will admit, my tank is greatly over crowded (temporary situation). I have the JD, 1 FM, 1 GT, 1 yellow lab, and 3 oscars in a 55 with a penguin 350 filter (which is amazing btw). The oscars will be moving into a separate tank as soon as possible. While my tank is like this, I feed only once a day, if not every other day, siphon the gravel once every 2 weeks and do a 20 ish % water change every 1 week. Everyone get along nicely, though this may not be a textbook set up.
About 3 days ago, Tuesday, Feb. 28 i noticed that my JD was quite bloated, not eating quite right, wasn't as active, and its temperament was unusually mellow. I watched its feces, which has been little stringgy or very small more regular passing. I assumed it was constipation, and I have been feeding peas to try to help, I also have 2 TBSP per 5 gallons of aquarium salt (a little more than my therapeutic level).
Today, (March 2) I noticed that the scales are lifting up on the back half of the JD (where the abdomen is not bloated). His color is also kind of funky, front half very pale, and back half very dark.
None of the other fish seem to be affected by this at all, my GT may be showing clamped caudal, anal and dorsal fins- not really any flashing going on, every now and then my yellow lab will lightly rub its face on the gravel, but not in anyway that has been associated with flashing. All the other fish are eating fine.
I'm just not sure if I should continue to try to feed it peas (which it is NOT keen on, and hasn't eaten much if any of them), or if I should do something else? This fish pretty much means the world to me and I couldn't stand to lose it. I don't know how much longer that it will be alright in this bloated stage.
pnw4

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Also...

Postby pnw4 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:48 pm

I forgot to mention that the last 3 or 4 times I've siphoned my tank and cleaned out the filter, very tiny, very squirmy red larvae (i'm assuming larvae) about 1/4 in long- if that, were in the filter. Now, I didn't sweat it too much the first few times I've seen it, because they haven't been seen in my tank or on my fish at all... I'm not sure what they are... but maybe this information helps? :-?
pnw4

Postby GTZ » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:40 pm

Need some additional info, please post:
Water Parameters (Temperature, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH and if possible GH and KH)

A separate hospital tank would be best for treatment.
The aquarium salt isn't doing any good for the bloat, so, perform 2, 20% water changes and vacuum the gravel. Wait 2-3 hours between water changes.
Add epsom salt. Premix in a cup 1 tbsp per 5g tank water and add gradually taking 2-3 hours to add it all.
From there, observe for increased bowel movements (here's where the hospital tank is advantageous) and watch for any deterioration or improvement in behavior.
Check the Bloat link in my sig for further treatment options. I would begin treating with metronidazole as soon as you can.
75G L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.) | Ps. demasoni | Met. greshakei
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Thank you

Postby pnw4 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:27 pm

Thank you for your quick response, I really appreciate it!
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5ppm
pH: 7.6
KH: ~240
GH: ~60

Is the metronidazole for the worm things I found in the filter?
pnw4

temp

Postby pnw4 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:51 pm

temp is at 76 as well
pnw4

Postby GTZ » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:17 pm

No idea what the worms are, post a pic if you can.
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

update

Postby pnw4 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:57 pm

I have done the 2 20% water changes, added the Epsom salts and added metronidazole to the tank. He now seems to have lots of excess slime coat. Should i worry?
pnw4

Postby GTZ » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:13 am

Likely a reaction to the increased water hardness. Shouldn't be anything to worry about. I assume you added it gradually over a few hours time. If it continues to build up, you can do a small water change to bring the salinity level down a bit.
Is he in a hospital tank?
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

unfortunately no,

Postby pnw4 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:24 am

I don't have the means for a hospital tank... I divided my 55 into 1/3 and he is in his favorite part of the tank (I thought this would be better, so I could continue to feed the rest of the fish). He just sits on the bottom or hovers in that corner any who. should I raise the temp or anything? how long do i leave the epsom salt in?
pnw4

update

Postby pnw4 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:03 pm

He seems to be feeling better, not on the bottom of the tank as much. This morning there were some feces on the bottom of his side of the tank, though he is still pretty bloated, slimy and scales are still sticking out. At least he is mobile now right? The feces looks abnormal, covered in a slime (that's the only way i can think to describe it) and it looks like it is really hard and it is in little balls, not the normal fishy string. sound normal for coming out of constipation? :-?
pnw4

Re: update

Postby GTZ » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:17 pm

pnw4 wrote:He seems to be feeling better, not on the bottom of the tank as much. This morning there were some feces on the bottom of his side of the tank, though he is still pretty bloated, slimy and scales are still sticking out. At least he is mobile now right? The feces looks abnormal, covered in a slime (that's the only way i can think to describe it) and it looks like it is really hard and it is in little balls, not the normal fishy string. sound normal for coming out of constipation? :-?

Good news that there's anything coming out at all. Keep up with the water changes, I'd do around 30-40% daily. Dose epsom in the replacement water, or add while refilling, so the salinity level remains constant. Dose metro with the water changes as indicated in the article in my sig. You did read it right? Page 3.
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

yes

Postby pnw4 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:26 pm

yes I read the article, thank you so much! at first I didn't know what you were talking about (new to forum, took me a while to figure out what "sig" was) I have a full understanding now :) Thank you! His condition still looks the same, but his spirits are up!
pnw4

update!

Postby pnw4 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:46 pm

Things seem to be going in the right direction! Still really bloated and scales sticking out, but is spending most of his time in the water column. He also tries to pursue food on the other side of the divider, and has eaten some shrimp pellets (sinking- because he still doesn't really want to go to the surface and eat). Seems like good news! hope the bloat goes away soon!
pnw4

Postby GTZ » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:04 am

I wouldn't be feeding at this point. If you do, soak in metro/water as suggested in the article.
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

A little worried,

Postby pnw4 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:38 pm

Still no improvement in the physical symptoms of the fish, still bloated and scales sticking out. Now, I had to go with the JPC instead of the metronidazole (i figured at least metro is in the JPC), because I couldn't find JUST metro anywhere, this was my quickest access to a recommended treatment from the link you provided. Is this not as effective? If not, where do I find metro? and how much should I purchase for a 55 gal tank?
pnw4

Next

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition