Central American Cichlids • If you were to stock my 140g

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Postby dsouthworth » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:01 am

CjCichlid wrote:My LFS sells them around the 1.5" mark, which should be able to be sexed relatively accurately. If for some reason they are REALLY small, to the point where they haven't developed any coloration, you may just have to blindly pick them out. But yes, 2m and 3f should make for a good ratio.

the ones we have are larger than that. Maybe even 4". I haven't really paid attention to the size yet. But it's good to know that I shouldn't have too hard of a time.

Thanks for knowing your cichlids bud :thumb:
140 gallon is now running!
and a beta in a gumball machine..
dsouthworth

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby CjCichlid » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:19 pm

Oh, well that's quite large and you should be able to distinguish between the two sexes. You would actually be better off with them smaller as you want them to grow with their future tank-mates. Are your JD and Meeki going to be the same size, if not bigger? I would definitely recommend it, as they will most likely be picked on by the not only the larger, but also more aggressive Sals.
-Chris

135gal Central American Community

Updates and pics: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=237760
CjCichlid

my old combo was good

Postby Polarbear69 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:59 pm

Years ago when I utilized a 90 gallon tank managed to have two jack dempseys, 4 convicts and a pair of salvanis without any issue. But had to move to new jersey and gave away my tank to the moving people. Firemouths are a bit timid and did not do well.
Polarbear69

Postby dsouthworth » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:32 pm

Hey so here are 4 of my 5 salvini. the 5th just hides in his cave and chases anything away.

anyways. bad pics.. i know. but it's the only time i've ever caught them in the open where i wont loose track..

male or female?
#1Image
#2Image
#3Image
#4Image

I know 1 and 3 are terrible.. but lol. sorry. like i said. not many times i get them out in the open for a photo shoot..

in pic #4 the sal in the back is the same as the sal in pic #3

I think that they are all Male except #2..
140 gallon is now running!
and a beta in a gumball machine..
dsouthworth

Previous

Return to Central American Cichlids