Lake Malawi Species • Post Cynotilapia Pictures!

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Postby cantrell00 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:14 am

That last pic almost suggests Nkhata Bay. I have never seen Nkhata's with a solid blick-dark blue strip at the top of their dorsal fine though...

"It" does have a touch of yellow blaze on it's head though.
User avatar
cantrell00
 
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:01 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Ryan82 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:58 pm

I don't think its a nkhata bay even though it has the yellow on its head. I used to have a female that I bought with him, and she was deep purple with a little stripe of yellow in the dorsal, but I guess it could have just been a sub-dominant male because whenever the dominant male is not colored up, he turns dark purple. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Sorry to change the subject Cantrell, but is that a Msobo in your avatar pic? I recently bought three of them from a LFS for $25 altogether and they are all at least 2.5 inches. One of them is already turning blue, and I thought the other two were females because they're yellowish orange, but I saw one of them locked up with the male, and his/her face started to get dark, and so did the dorsal fin. Have you seen a male that didn't have the blue coloration by the time they were 2.5+ inches, or do the females show these color changes when stressed, fighting, etc..?
User avatar
Ryan82
 
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:17 pm
Location: Dallas

Postby cantrell00 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:25 pm

Ryan82 wrote:I don't think its a nkhata bay even though it has the yellow on its head. I used to have a female that I bought with him, and she was deep purple with a little stripe of yellow in the dorsal, but I guess it could have just been a sub-dominant male because whenever the dominant male is not colored up, he turns dark purple. Does that sound familiar to anyone?


The only Cyno's that I am familiar with that are purple and not Hara are Lion, Lupingu. Also, I don't "think" your fish is Likoma. I have Likomas and they don't look like your guy.

Ryan82 wrote:Sorry to change the subject Cantrell, but is that a Msobo in your avatar pic? I recently bought three of them from a LFS for $25 altogether and they are all at least 2.5 inches. One of them is already turning blue, and I thought the other two were females because they're yellowish orange, but I saw one of them locked up with the male, and his/her face started to get dark, and so did the dorsal fin. Have you seen a male that didn't have the blue coloration by the time they were 2.5+ inches, or do the females show these color changes when stressed, fighting, etc..?


Odds are that both were male. They mature at different rates and not necessarily tied to dominance either, IMO.

This is the first time that I have had Msobo and 2.5" seems too young to say one way or the other. I have never had a female msobo tangle with what I knew to be a male. Female to female squabbles are common though.
User avatar
cantrell00
 
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:01 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Postby Ryan82 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:33 pm

Thanks for the help. You confirmed my suspicion about the msobo being a male. Now I'll have to keep checking my LFS to see if they have any more. There were only three in the store when I bought them or else I would have bought more.
User avatar
Ryan82
 
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:17 pm
Location: Dallas

Postby cantrell00 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:41 pm

Ryan82 wrote:Thanks for the help. You confirmed my suspicion about the msobo being a male. Now I'll have to keep checking my LFS to see if they have any more. There were only three in the store when I bought them or else I would have bought more.


If one of the three stay orange and 3.5+", I would say female for sure.

Females actually darken up and can display dark lines on their dorsal when holding too.

I have read that subdominant males can stay orange as well although I haven't verified that myself. Mine are still too young to say...
User avatar
cantrell00
 
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:01 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Post Cynotilapia Pictures!

Postby promoe » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:49 pm

Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
promoe
 
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: san diego

Re: Post Cynotilapia Pictures!

Postby promoe » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:54 pm

Image
Image
User avatar
promoe
 
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: san diego

Re: Post Cynotilapia Pictures!

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:21 pm

Great pictures!
User avatar
Iggy Newcastle
Moderator
 
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 6:04 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Re: Post Cynotilapia Pictures!

Postby shelbynjakesdad » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:02 pm

Great pictures above, love the cobue, promoe!

I don't have a good camera, so please excuse the photo quality (iphone photos). I like this composite shot because it really shows the way these fish can change their appearance based on mood. I took these photos of my young F1 Cynotilapia "Hara" less than a minute apart:
Image

I need to take some more pics of this guy, he has grown quite a bit and looks a lot more mature now.
User avatar
shelbynjakesdad
 
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:25 pm
Location: Boise, ID

Re: Post Cynotilapia Pictures!

Postby promoe » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Ty... I dont keep as many cynos as I used to. here is my group of Haras that i got rid of to another member here on C-F.There's a wild trio in there somewhere,last pic is of wild male...lol

Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
promoe
 
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: san diego

Previous

Return to Lake Malawi Species

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aicardi, Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests