Cichlid Fish Forum banner

My JD is sick, but not sure what it is or how to treat

2K views 21 replies 2 participants last post by  GTZ 
#1 ·
I have had my JD for a little over a year now. I will admit, my tank is greatly over crowded (temporary situation). I have the JD, 1 FM, 1 GT, 1 yellow lab, and 3 oscars in a 55 with a penguin 350 filter (which is amazing btw). The oscars will be moving into a separate tank as soon as possible. While my tank is like this, I feed only once a day, if not every other day, siphon the gravel once every 2 weeks and do a 20 ish % water change every 1 week. Everyone get along nicely, though this may not be a textbook set up.
About 3 days ago, Tuesday, Feb. 28 i noticed that my JD was quite bloated, not eating quite right, wasn't as active, and its temperament was unusually mellow. I watched its feces, which has been little stringgy or very small more regular passing. I assumed it was constipation, and I have been feeding peas to try to help, I also have 2 TBSP per 5 gallons of aquarium salt (a little more than my therapeutic level).
Today, (March 2) I noticed that the scales are lifting up on the back half of the JD (where the abdomen is not bloated). His color is also kind of funky, front half very pale, and back half very dark.
None of the other fish seem to be affected by this at all, my GT may be showing clamped caudal, anal and dorsal fins- not really any flashing going on, every now and then my yellow lab will lightly rub its face on the gravel, but not in anyway that has been associated with flashing. All the other fish are eating fine.
I'm just not sure if I should continue to try to feed it peas (which it is NOT keen on, and hasn't eaten much if any of them), or if I should do something else? This fish pretty much means the world to me and I couldn't stand to lose it. I don't know how much longer that it will be alright in this bloated stage.

See less See more
#2 ·
I forgot to mention that the last 3 or 4 times I've siphoned my tank and cleaned out the filter, very tiny, very squirmy red larvae (i'm assuming larvae) about 1/4 in long- if that, were in the filter. Now, I didn't sweat it too much the first few times I've seen it, because they haven't been seen in my tank or on my fish at all... I'm not sure what they are... but maybe this information helps? :-?

#3 ·
Need some additional info, please post:
Water Parameters (Temperature, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH and if possible GH and KH)

A separate hospital tank would be best for treatment.
The aquarium salt isn't doing any good for the bloat, so, perform 2, 20% water changes and vacuum the gravel. Wait 2-3 hours between water changes.
Add epsom salt. Premix in a cup 1 tbsp per 5g tank water and add gradually taking 2-3 hours to add it all.
From there, observe for increased bowel movements (here's where the hospital tank is advantageous) and watch for any deterioration or improvement in behavior.
Check the Bloat link in my sig for further treatment options. I would begin treating with metronidazole as soon as you can.

#4 ·
Thank you for your quick response, I really appreciate it!
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5ppm
pH: 7.6
KH: ~240
GH: ~60

Is the metronidazole for the worm things I found in the filter?

#5 ·
temp is at 76 as well

#7 ·
I have done the 2 20% water changes, added the Epsom salts and added metronidazole to the tank. He now seems to have lots of excess slime coat. Should i worry?

#8 ·
Likely a reaction to the increased water hardness. Shouldn't be anything to worry about. I assume you added it gradually over a few hours time. If it continues to build up, you can do a small water change to bring the salinity level down a bit.
Is he in a hospital tank?

#9 ·
I don't have the means for a hospital tank... I divided my 55 into 1/3 and he is in his favorite part of the tank (I thought this would be better, so I could continue to feed the rest of the fish). He just sits on the bottom or hovers in that corner any who. should I raise the temp or anything? how long do i leave the epsom salt in?

#10 ·
He seems to be feeling better, not on the bottom of the tank as much. This morning there were some feces on the bottom of his side of the tank, though he is still pretty bloated, slimy and scales are still sticking out. At least he is mobile now right? The feces looks abnormal, covered in a slime (that's the only way i can think to describe it) and it looks like it is really hard and it is in little balls, not the normal fishy string. sound normal for coming out of constipation? :-?

#11 ·
pnw4 said:
He seems to be feeling better, not on the bottom of the tank as much. This morning there were some feces on the bottom of his side of the tank, though he is still pretty bloated, slimy and scales are still sticking out. At least he is mobile now right? The feces looks abnormal, covered in a slime (that's the only way i can think to describe it) and it looks like it is really hard and it is in little balls, not the normal fishy string. sound normal for coming out of constipation? :-?
Good news that there's anything coming out at all. Keep up with the water changes, I'd do around 30-40% daily. Dose epsom in the replacement water, or add while refilling, so the salinity level remains constant. Dose metro with the water changes as indicated in the article in my sig. You did read it right? Page 3.

#12 ·
yes I read the article, thank you so much! at first I didn't know what you were talking about (new to forum, took me a while to figure out what "sig" was) I have a full understanding now :) Thank you! His condition still looks the same, but his spirits are up!

#13 ·
Things seem to be going in the right direction! Still really bloated and scales sticking out, but is spending most of his time in the water column. He also tries to pursue food on the other side of the divider, and has eaten some shrimp pellets (sinking- because he still doesn't really want to go to the surface and eat). Seems like good news! hope the bloat goes away soon!

#15 ·
Still no improvement in the physical symptoms of the fish, still bloated and scales sticking out. Now, I had to go with the JPC instead of the metronidazole (i figured at least metro is in the JPC), because I couldn't find JUST metro anywhere, this was my quickest access to a recommended treatment from the link you provided. Is this not as effective? If not, where do I find metro? and how much should I purchase for a 55 gal tank?

#16 ·
pnw4 said:
Still no improvement in the physical symptoms of the fish, still bloated and scales sticking out. Now, I had to go with the JPC instead of the metronidazole (i figured at least metro is in the JPC), because I couldn't find JUST metro anywhere, this was my quickest access to a recommended treatment from the link you provided. Is this not as effective? If not, where do I find metro? and how much should I purchase for a 55 gal tank?
Not sure whether JPC is less effective or not but most people use straight metronidazole for bloat.
Some links
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=4753
http://www.kensfish.com/product2836.html
http://www.jehmco.com/html/medications.html

#17 ·
My JD is still blocked off in 1/3 of my 55 gal tank, the rest of my fish (3 oscars, 1 gt, 1 fm, and one yellow lab- sigh) are in the other 2/3 of the tank. I stopped feeding the entire tank, because some of the regular food would get past the sides of the barrier to my jd. Its been about 3 days since I've last fed, and I've noticed white feces from one of my oscars. I'm just curious if this is because it is getting bloat too? or if it is because they haven't eaten lately. The feces aren't thin (compared to the strings coming from my JD) Just curious. Also, Until i get the metro, would soaking food in the JPC be the same? or should I just not feed at all... I'm afraid my jd is getting more bloated (also why i stopped feeding the entire tank)

#18 ·
White feces is probably because you stopped feeding.
You can soak in JPC. If the JD is looking more bloated then it's probably not going to recover. At this point, if he eats some JPC soaked food, it probably won't make any difference so I'd be inclined to at least try it.

#19 ·
So much for all of your help, but I found my JD upside down this morning with no color. Fins and gills still going... I left him until I couldn't take it any more. I euthanized him not too long ago. Most definitely the most devistating loss of a fish ever. :( I'm going to feed the rest of his tank mates with JPC soaked food for a bit just to make sure. Again thank you so much for your help.

#21 ·
My plan for my tank is to separate the oscars into their own 75 with an emperor 400 (which I know isn't ideal, but better than the 55 they are in now and the biggest tank i am able to provide) and keep the FM, GT and yellow lab in the 55. I want to get them another tank mate when they have the 55 to themselves. I REALLY loved my JD, but I was kind of worried about taking the oscars out and the JD taking over (the oscars really are the mediators). I'm kind of thinking of an electric blue JD, because i have read that they have less of a temperament. I have no experience with them. If not i'd like to get another FM and GT, but if they turn out to be pairs, I'm not sure how that would work out if they spawned.

Thoughts? I also really want to stick with new world cichlids, the yellow lab was given to me by a friend cuz it was the bully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.