Unidentified Cichlids • Help me identify this African Cichlid?

Here's where you need to go to get help identifying your Cichlids.

Moderators: Chester B, StructureGuy

Help me identify this African Cichlid?

Postby sayyruhhh » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:50 pm

I adopted this little guy today and am wondering what type of African Cichlid it is.

I can't seem to get the pictures to show up, so here are the links:
http://tinypic.com/r/t9urkk/5
http://tinypic.com/r/2zz0zyt/5

Thanks!
sayyruhhh

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby noki » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:52 pm

I can't see anything but I'll guess Kenyi
noki

Postby 24Tropheus » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:06 pm

Very young Cyrtocara moorii
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1061
Another very common Malawi but this one big and relatively peaceful, so only suited to that sort of Malawi tank, 60" or pref bigger long term, about 125 gallons or more.
Prob too young to tell if pure.

All the best James
Tanks 180, empty revamping 100,65,60g Tropheus/tang communities 75g revamping. 29gx3 shelly communities, 29g Trigs breeding. 20gx2 shelly tanks. BCA member 207. Try it you might like it.
24Tropheus

Postby Anthraxx8500 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:45 pm

i agree that its a C. Moori. very stressed out at this point. and gonna get big.
Anthraxx8500

Postby nmcichlid-aholic » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:20 am

Yep, C. moorii. They'll get large, but grow a little more slowly than a lot of the larger species. Yours look tiny, so it'll be a while before size becomes an issue.
nmcichlid-aholic

Postby 24Tropheus » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:47 pm

Yep main prob with em when small or even quite large is they get beeten up by most Mbuna and are quite a common return to shops because of this. Few seem to make it to be problems because of size as they just do not do well enough unless kept with others of the more peaceful Malawi cichlids.
Once breeding produce vast numbers of fast growing young. (They only grow slow when kept with fish that bully them but grow fast in big vats, one species only) Hence a good money maker for the breeders and then shops that sell loads but tend not to warn folk what they need long term.
Tanks 180, empty revamping 100,65,60g Tropheus/tang communities 75g revamping. 29gx3 shelly communities, 29g Trigs breeding. 20gx2 shelly tanks. BCA member 207. Try it you might like it.
24Tropheus

Postby RifterFish » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:05 pm

Yep, Blue Dolphin. They have the cutest faces when they are juveniles. I love their little lips all puckered out. Named my male Pucker. My local petsmart was selling them as Electra haps or something like that on sale for $2.05 a piece. I told them they were blue dolphins but they said that is not what was written on the invoice. I just smiled and bought them all. Really cool fish. I'm not sure how I am going to feel about the large lump on the forehead when they get bigger, but for now I love the way they look. Here are some of the ones I bought:

RifterFish

Return to Unidentified Cichlids