Cichlid Fish Forum banner

New Gold Rams

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  AK runner 
#1 ·
Last week I bought 3 gold rams for my 20 Long. It's a long established tank with gravel, plants, and some rocks. They colored up with a nice gold color and lots of blue specks and each had 1/3 of the tank. One developed a red nose.

They share the tank with 10 neon tetras and a siamese fighting fish.

The last few days two of them have been hanging out in one end and the 3rd one at the other end. All 3 have been coming out to eat and sometimes bicker a little like rams.

Tonight they were acting a little off so I did a tank cleaning a day early. After the water change I noticed the two were hovering over a rock. It took a minute before I saw that it had a cluster of eggs. The rock was hidden by a plant that moved a little when I added water.

It never occurred to me that they would lay eggs less than a week in their new home. Now to see what they do. Especially since I have read that they can be hard to keep and breed.

Now to wait and see what they do now that I have disrupted their routine.

See less See more
#3 ·
Honestly, I got mine one week, and the next, they had spawned. And I don't think 3 is the best number to keep.

But yes, you should remove that Betta asap. He could also be the reason they wont spawn. I wouldn't "spawn" if I saw that thing watching me ;D ha

#4 ·
They did have a nice place and laid their eggs. sheltered by plants.
As I figured the eggs were gone by this morning. Tank has calmed down. My cleaning around the spawning area moved a plant that was covering their rock.

I bought three so they could choose who to mate with, and then remove the 3rd one.

Tank dynamics has changed since last night.
Last night the male was keeping everyone away from the spawning site, including the 3rd ram.
Today the second female was tryin to attract the male, and it was the 1st female keeping the other female away from the male.

The pair keep to the left side, the single one to the right side.

Now to find a home for the 3rd gold ram.

The Betta seems to ignore them for now and they go steal food from him.

Just shows that the fish have a mind of their own and don't read the articles on how they should behave in our tanks.

#5 ·
my setup and experience is similar to yours, i have german blue rams, betta & glowlight tetras and 2 of the rams breed after about a week being in theyre new 75g. they ate their eggs by the 2nd day. i removed my betta for 2 reasons, *** seen hes being nipped by the tetras and is starting to stress out and a few times id see him go after a small female ram.

#6 ·
My reply disappeared...

The betta is going into another tank after I do some changes to it.

For the past week I have been trying to catch the extra ram and return it to the LFS. Now they seem to be getting along and I can't tell which one to take back.

All 3 come up and eat, they all chase each other and hang out. No two are staying together.

Sometimes when I watch them they will swim up to the glass all in a row and look at me. It seems that they are laughing at me and have fun making me crazy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.