Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • Help me Design a Aquarium Landscape! PLZ

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: notho2000, CjCichlid

Help me Design a Aquarium Landscape! PLZ

Postby Cali_screw » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:30 am

OK, so i am at a lost, i cant seem to get creative on this tank and need some help. I have a standard 75Gallon Tank with Assorted Mbuna's. Substrate is Crushed coral with a 3D background. Can i get some help with what to put inside it? Links, pictures, examples etc are appreciated lol..

Here the plat form.....

current setup until i figure out what i want...

Cali_screw

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby dsouthworth » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:32 am

Those africans? if so, how much a large rock work with random "natural" looking caves?
140 gallon is now running!
and a beta in a gumball machine..
dsouthworth

Postby Cali_screw » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:36 am

dsouthworth wrote:Those africans? if so, how much a large rock work with random "natural" looking caves?

yes they are cichlids and im not sure i understand your question....
Cali_screw

Postby dsouthworth » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:39 am

oops. Typo.
how ABOUT large rock work

Checkout a local landscaping yard and find some slate or river rock. Adding rock with make caves and hiding places for the fish. They'd appreciate it.
dsouthworth

Postby Cali_screw » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:43 am

dsouthworth wrote:oops. Typo.
how ABOUT large rock work

Checkout a local landscaping yard and find some slate or river rock. Adding rock with make caves and hiding places for the fish. They'd appreciate it.

yea ill have to give that a try.. im just worried about rocks falling over :(
Cali_screw

Postby dsouthworth » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:50 am

A good way to do this is to take out most of your sand, lay the rocks down then add sand back in. Keeping the rocks placed on the glass with eliminate the chance of the fish digging out the sand under the rocks.

If you place them firmly and pay lots off attention to detail they won't fall over.
dsouthworth

Postby ridley25 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:38 am

Lots of rocks, the bigger the better. And the closer they are in colour and texture to your back ground, the better things will look.

Don't worry about the weight of the rocks, you simply can't put enough in there to stress your glass. Feel free to lean them on your BG for stability. But place them far enough away from your front and side glass so that you can still fit a python an/or algar scraper between them and the glass.

kevin
Malawi 125g: Labeotropheus fuelleborni, Labidochromis sp. "Hongi SRT," Metriaclima sp. "Msobo," Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei," Pseudotropheus sp. "Williamsi North," Syndodontis njassae
Tanganyika 15g: 'Lamprologus' multifasciatus species tank
ridley25

Help me Design a Aquarium Landscape! PLZ

Postby Tony La Morte » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:52 pm

Perhaps slide the current piece, (looks like drift wood) to one side or another and build up some rock work on the opposite side.
Tony
Tony La Morte

Re: Help me Design a Aquarium Landscape! PLZ

Postby Cali_screw » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:18 pm

Tony La Morte wrote:Perhaps slide the current piece, (looks like drift wood) to one side or another and build up some rock work on the opposite side.
Tony

the piece in there is pretty fake looking, and i was told a Mbunas' natural habitat is basically all rocks and no drift wood?
Cali_screw

Postby Cali_screw » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:18 am

ok so i got some rocks to match my background, there not really stack-able, Should i add some slate or a piece of drift wood to add height to the tank?

Cali_screw

Postby DJRansome » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:39 am

Why do you say they are not stackable? What happens when you put them all in one big pile?

The color is good, try to get some bigger ones. From fist to head size.

And remember, symmetry is your enemy. :thumb:
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome

Postby Shahlvah » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:43 pm

I think if you get more rocks (that by the way they look pretty nice) and stack them all together, this will form some caves for the fish to swim in and out, mbunas love the caves, and spend most of the day going in and out of them at least mine do.
The color looks nice and plants looks nice too. I like the color of the sand and the background, on this is a trial and error and the best aquascape is the one you like the most, because remember that you are the one looking at the tank every single day.
Driftwood will naturally lower your PH which cichlids like high PH, so I wouldn't go for the drift wood, just rock, try to make it the most natural possible. I think that if you put slate with river rocks it is going to look kind of fabricated or not so natural, but it's just my opinion.
Shahlvah

Postby nudge » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:15 pm

i am yet to find a rock that is unstackable :) , you don't need to stack them just put a few in a circular shape on the bottom and chuck some more on top, the more jumbled the better.
nudge

Postby Steveboos » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:35 pm

You need to get about another 100 lbs of that rock!! I would just stack it all in piles and push down on it into the substrate to ensure that it stays put.

I like the background, but you need A LOT more rocks for the aqua scape to look complete.
125 Gallon Tank: FX5(w/ DIY Spraybar) and AC110
19x Pseudotropheus Demasoni, 20x Labidochromis Caeruleus, 4x Pseudotropheus Acei (Yellow Tail), 1 OB Peacock, 3 Bushynose Plecostomus (Ancistrus sp.)
Steveboos

Postby Cali_screw » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:14 am

thanks for the input guys, im going to do a few more changes then post what I've done!
Cali_screw

Next

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)