Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Are other salts needed

842 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  B.Roberson 
#1 ·
Just trying to get ideas before I buy a tank have been checking out this forum and think its awesome. I plan on having a 75 gallon with peacocks/haps. Going to use baking soda and epsom salt to control ph,gh and kh should i be using some kind of other salt such as instant ocean,table salt or cichlid salt???

#3 ·
I dont add salt to my tanks, only in the case of fungus/ich. I dont think its necessary.

#5 ·
Thanks for responding, I'll be getting my water (city water) from my tap. the current readings are PH=7.4, GH=4, KH=5. i can get them all to within range using baking soda and epsom salt only, just didnt know if i should be adding other salts (instant ocean, cichlid salt or table salt)

#6 ·
Add enough baking soda to get the KH up to where you'd like it... don't worry about pH nor GH.
Let the pH arive at whatever it wants to arrive at once the KH is bumped up.
No need for any other salt. No sea salt or cichlid salts necessary.

#7 ·
Number6 said:
Add enough baking soda to get the KH up to where you'd like it... don't worry about pH nor GH.
Let the pH arive at whatever it wants to arrive at once the KH is bumped up.
No need for any other salt. No sea salt or cichlid salts necessary.
I agree %100,I was adding epsoms salts to bring up my gh,it caused nothing but problems for my fish,its hard to measure,with evaporation,salts can creep up if you arent careful

#10 ·
Can i chime in? I also do the buffer recipe from this site.
I have a 75 gal also. My tap is neutral ph, gh,kh 50-60. So I've been doing this buffer and ph,gh,kh all good.....
so my question also,do i need the table salt? ? Im using noniodized. But if i need just baking soda and epsom to stabilize then no table salt? ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.