Illness, Health & Nutrition • White Dot on Back Fin....

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderators: Robin, GTZ

White Dot on Back Fin....

Postby Bevo5 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:45 pm

Quick question - got a large WC moba male. About two weeks ago he had a small hole appear in the middle of his back fin. Who knows how it got there. Either way, over the past week the area around it got lighter blue and a white growth appeared over it. I figured maybe it was a sort of scab or something.

But it's growing a bit larger and the lighter blue area is spreading so I figured I'd post some photos and see if anybody has any ideas. Nobody else in the tank seems to have anything like this so I'm guessing it's some sort of bacterial/fungus thing from the hole in the fin.

problem is I don't have a hospital tank large enough for him so I suppose my only option is to treat the whole tank?

Thoughts/advice?

*This is a horrible photo but shows the growth coming out a bit.

Bevo5

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby triscuit » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:56 am

I would have guessed scar tissue, but that last picture makes it look a bit like fungus.

First thing I suggest is to do a couple extra water changes. The cleaner your water is, the more the fish can heal itself. What is your nitrate concentration? When fighting potential disease, I like to get my nitrates to about 10ppm.

Next thing you could try a combination of Melafix and Pimafix. They are relatively cheap for dosing a large aquarium, and will help fight infection and promote healing.

One treatment I have been waiting to try is the BioBandage by Hikari. I played with the stuff at a conference, and I think it has a good chance of actually working. You would need to catch the Moba, and probably treat both sides of his tail. I would guess that having four hands would be helpful here...
triscuit
Global Moderator

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition