Cichlid Fish Forum banner

New fry tank setup help

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  rdetar 
#1 ·
Hello, got a 20 gallon tall tank for some new yellow lab fry I will be expecting in about 2 weeks. Any advice on set up, decor, filtration would be appreciated. I only have a short time and am beginning cycling this weekend.
Should I use some water from my 55 gallon tank to facilitate transition? Or should I use all fresh water? Should I cycle with some feeders or just use one or two of my healthy adults?
Should I add anything special for the youngers that I would not normally give to the adults?
I read about feedings and heating to facilitate quick healthy growth but what about these other issues?
Thanks for the help in advance,
:D

#3 ·
Move the media from the fry tank and let it sit with the media on the 55 for the two weeks while you're waiting for the fry. When you're ready for the fry, take the media for the 20 gallon out of the 55 and put it in the fry tank. Water alone wont be sufficient enough to cycle the tank. As far as decor... I've always read that people kept them in bare bottom tanks, but I dont know how it would make a difference if you put some decoration in.

#4 ·
I favor having a small filter running in the main tank which can be swung over to the fry tank. With two weeks to go, you might start a small filter to help it along. Putting some used media in the new filter will be far better for starting than working with old water which will carry little good bacteria and may be somewhat polluted already.
But in fact, I find little trouble just jumping into a new tank with fry. There are two things working in your favor here. One is the fry produce little bio-load if fed with reasonable care. Two is that I do a lot more water changing on fry tanks than on big tanks. Just because it is much easier to do a 25% on a ten gallon and also I feel clean water is very good for fry. More important even than for large fish. Small load with lots of water change lets the ammonia build very slowly as the filter gets up to speed.

#6 ·
I find the easy way for me is to move the holding female to the fry tank. It is a lot less stress for both me and the fish and I feel I have never lost any fry to the mother eating them after they are released. I leave the bottom bare but with a good amount of rocks for the holding female to feel safe and then when she does spit, the fry will get into the tiny cracks under the rocks if they feel threatened. I feed very little if any until they are spit as I can never tell that the female eats. Often with the rocks, my first clue they are free is the female going up and down the corners looking for a way to leave. When it is obvious she is no longer holding, I dip her back and look for fry under the rocks and start feeding fine crushed flakes. They are ready to do their thing from day one.

#7 ·
Awesome, thanks for the advice everyone. I will use media from the large tank and I will put the mother in there in one week. I plan on letting the mother spit in the new tank. I don't want to strip as it is her first time and I am not too worried about her getting week compared to the rest of my tank (she is by far the largest in there). I am very grateful for all the great advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.