Central American Cichlids • 75 Gallon Male Jack Dempsey Tankmates?

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

75 Gallon Male Jack Dempsey Tankmates?

Postby scarhbar » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:48 am

The tank is 75 gallons, and it has an FX5 filter on it. I do pretty good sized water changes. The Jack Dempsey is about 4.5"-5". I'm looking for any other tankmates for him before he gets to large and aggressive.

Oscars? Many people say that an Oscar and JD COULD work in a 75 gallon, but i'm a little wary on this. There is an Oscar with him in the tank already, but I was planning on selling him. Good idea, or not?

Green Terrors? I have a Green Terror in the tank with him now too. The GT is definitely the less dominate fish in the tank, and gets his fins nipped more often. Not sure if that'd change as he grew.

Other than that, I am not sure! Please help!
User avatar
scarhbar
 
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:11 am
Location: Colorado

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby cage623 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:43 am

I assume you are talking about cichlid tankmates?

Most would support your idea to sell the oscar. General consensus it that Oscars can live in a 75 minimum if they are the only cichlid. So I would look into getting it a new home.

The GT could work but many feel that GT's get most aggressive as they are older and larger and this can often occur virtually over night. So your concerns with the dominance in the tank changing are accurate.

Personally I would look into a little smaller cichlids as tankmates. Things like firemouth, cons, sajica, cutteri, HRP, or maybe even a salvini. These are just some thoughts that will make the tank less of a space issue as everything becomes fully grow out.

Finally you could consider just getting it a mate. A 75 gallon could work to get it a partner but I didn't know if that is something you were interested in.

Those are just some ideas to look into. But overall you are right to want to get this figured out before it gets too large and then it is harder to find compatible tankmates.

-Cage
125 gallon

1 Texas Cichlid
1 Firemouth Cichlid
1 Jack Dempsey
8 Cutteri Juveniles
12 Giant Danios
User avatar
cage623
 
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:24 pm
Location: Iowa

Postby Steffano2 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:41 pm

+1 on Cage. I'll add you could even do a Heros of some type too. I know they get big but are rather slow growers and not that aggressive too.

1. Jack
2. Firemouth
3. Heros sp.

That would be a good looking tank, one of each of course.
User avatar
Steffano2
 
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:18 pm
Location: California

Postby smitty » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:08 pm

There are many fish that you can try as long as they get along. Firemouths, Salvinis, Convicts, Oscar, Green Terror, etc. It is really going to be trial and error. Also don't forget red devils.
150gal- Dovi; 3 AC 110 P. Filters, 2 AC P. Heads; Eheim 2217,2260
180gal- Managuense; 3 AC 110 P.Filters, 2 AC P. Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; FX5
210gal- Argta,Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maclcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC 110 P.Filters, 2 AC P.Hds; Eheim 2250,2262; FX5
User avatar
smitty
 
Joined: Fri May 07, 2004 7:59 pm
Location: Yeadon, Pennsylvania

Postby scarhbar » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:18 pm

cage623 wrote:I assume you are talking about cichlid tankmates?

Most would support your idea to sell the oscar. General consensus it that Oscars can live in a 75 minimum if they are the only cichlid. So I would look into getting it a new home.

The GT could work but many feel that GT's get most aggressive as they are older and larger and this can often occur virtually over night. So your concerns with the dominance in the tank changing are accurate.

Personally I would look into a little smaller cichlids as tankmates. Things like firemouth, cons, sajica, cutteri, HRP, or maybe even a salvini. These are just some thoughts that will make the tank less of a space issue as everything becomes fully grow out.

Finally you could consider just getting it a mate. A 75 gallon could work to get it a partner but I didn't know if that is something you were interested in.

Those are just some ideas to look into. But overall you are right to want to get this figured out before it gets too large and then it is harder to find compatible tankmates.

-Cage


Ah! Well I've been thinking that a Firemouth would be pretty cool! The ones around here are pretty small though :/ as for non tankmates, do you think some buenos aires tetras (3-4") and some pictus would be ok?
User avatar
scarhbar
 
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:11 am
Location: Colorado

Postby ahud » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Is this a different tank or are you skipping discus?

As others have said I would go with something smaller.
User avatar
ahud
 
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:08 am
Location: South carolina

Postby scarhbar » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Steffano2 wrote:+1 on Cage. I'll add you could even do a Heros of some type too. I know they get big but are rather slow growers and not that aggressive too.

1. Jack
2. Firemouth
3. Heros sp.

That would be a good looking tank, one of each of course.


Ya, i've had heros before. They are cool, but like you mentioned, pretty slow growing :/ see my reply to cage, and tell me what you think?
User avatar
scarhbar
 
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:11 am
Location: Colorado

Postby cage623 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:43 pm

Ah! Well I've been thinking that a Firemouth would be pretty cool! The ones around here are pretty small though :/ as for non tankmates, do you think some buenos aires tetras (3-4") and some pictus would be ok?


I personally don't have experience with Buenos Aires Tetras but they are a common dither fish on forums like this. They are nice because they are very active and get to be big enough you don't really need to worry too much about them becoming snacks.

I have had a pictus in the past and I have really liked it. They get to be a good 10" but I still think that would be doable in this tank. They are also very active and unlike some catfish (which will hide all day and only come out at night), pictus seem to be on crack and are always moving.

Honestly if you could find the right size Firemouth (I would say 3.5 to 4 in.) you could still do it with your JD and the pictus and say 6 BA tetras. Just some food for thought.

-Cage
125 gallon

1 Texas Cichlid
1 Firemouth Cichlid
1 Jack Dempsey
8 Cutteri Juveniles
12 Giant Danios
User avatar
cage623
 
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:24 pm
Location: Iowa

Postby scarhbar » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:49 pm

ahud wrote:Is this a different tank or are you skipping discus?

As others have said I would go with something smaller.


Hey Ahud! Ya, I don't think Discus are very ideal for me at the moment. Plus, I already have a Jack Dempsey :) do you think a Firemouth with some Bueons Aires and Pictus would be cool?
User avatar
scarhbar
 
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:11 am
Location: Colorado

Postby Steffano2 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:12 pm

I've kept Buenos Aires Tetras before, the females are always fighting/picking on the males and frankly their colors are sorta boring. They are aggressive for a tetra too, which isn't a bad thing considering their tank mates.

You may enjoy the larger rainbow fish they add color and grow way to big for the Dempsey to eat. Even some large Gouramies may work.

May I ask why you want to have "dithers"? I would think they will be utilizing tank space that your cichlids will need?

Pictus cats will work again there are other catfish you could us too.

I'd be a tad leery of adding a 'Red Devil' they really live up to their name once they mature IMO.

Even a few Jewels would work in your tank say if you did Salvini, JD, and Jewels. Just some food for thought.
User avatar
Steffano2
 
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:18 pm
Location: California

Postby scarhbar » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:28 pm

cage623 wrote:
Ah! Well I've been thinking that a Firemouth would be pretty cool! The ones around here are pretty small though :/ as for non tankmates, do you think some buenos aires tetras (3-4") and some pictus would be ok?


I personally don't have experience with Buenos Aires Tetras but they are a common dither fish on forums like this. They are nice because they are very active and get to be big enough you don't really need to worry too much about them becoming snacks.

I have had a pictus in the past and I have really liked it. They get to be a good 10" but I still think that would be doable in this tank. They are also very active and unlike some catfish (which will hide all day and only come out at night), pictus seem to be on crack and are always moving.

Honestly if you could find the right size Firemouth (I would say 3.5 to 4 in.) you could still do it with your JD and the pictus and say 6 BA tetras. Just some food for thought.

-Cage


ha, how many pictus?
User avatar
scarhbar
 
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:11 am
Location: Colorado

Postby scarhbar » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:30 pm

Steffano2 wrote:I've kept Buenos Aires Tetras before, the females are always fighting/picking on the males and frankly their colors are sorta boring. They are aggressive for a tetra too, which isn't a bad thing considering their tank mates.

You may enjoy the larger rainbow fish they add color and grow way to big for the Dempsey to eat. Even some large Gouramies may work.

May I ask why you want to have "dithers"? I would think they will be utilizing tank space that your cichlids will need?

Pictus cats will work again there are other catfish you could us too.

I'd be a tad leery of adding a 'Red Devil' they really live up to their name once they mature IMO.

Even a few Jewels would work in your tank say if you did Salvini, JD, and Jewels. Just some food for thought.


I like the contrast between lots of small fish, and one bigger bigger fish :P Not exactly dithers, but hey I'll like it!

and as for the Pictus, I don't really see any other catfish I'd like. The tank has some hardy plants, so plecos would eat them. That's why i like pictus :P I think I'm also doing a Firemouth too
User avatar
scarhbar
 
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:11 am
Location: Colorado

Postby Steffano2 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:39 pm

scarhbar wrote:
Steffano2 wrote:I've kept Buenos Aires Tetras before, the females are always fighting/picking on the males and frankly their colors are sorta boring. They are aggressive for a tetra too, which isn't a bad thing considering their tank mates.

You may enjoy the larger rainbow fish they add color and grow way to big for the Dempsey to eat. Even some large Gouramies may work.

May I ask why you want to have "dithers"? I would think they will be utilizing tank space that your cichlids will need?

Pictus cats will work again there are other catfish you could us too.

I'd be a tad leery of adding a 'Red Devil' they really live up to their name once they mature IMO.

Even a few Jewels would work in your tank say if you did Salvini, JD, and Jewels. Just some food for thought.


I like the contrast between lots of small fish, and one bigger bigger fish :P Not exactly dithers, but hey I'll like it!

and as for the Pictus, I don't really see any other catfish I'd like. The tank has some hardy plants, so plecos would eat them. That's why i like pictus :P I think I'm also doing a Firemouth too


You're going to have a great tank, let us know the final stocking list.
User avatar
Steffano2
 
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:18 pm
Location: California

Postby cage623 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:18 am

Honestly, I would just do the one pictus. As I said they get to be large enough and are very active on their own. Plus one should be all you need to clean up extra food in a tank this large.

-Cage
125 gallon

1 Texas Cichlid
1 Firemouth Cichlid
1 Jack Dempsey
8 Cutteri Juveniles
12 Giant Danios
User avatar
cage623
 
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:24 pm
Location: Iowa

Postby CjCichlid » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:20 am

I agree pretty much with everything that cage as said thus far. Buenos Aires Tetras will work well as dithers, or simply just a smaller fish. I have 9x in my 135gal and they are doing very well. I think they have great colors, as mine have bright red fins and a greenish body. They are very active and actually quite aggressive for a Tetra so be sure you get a decent sized shoal (at least 6).

EDIT: If you have live plants BA Tetras will NOT work well as they are known plant eaters! Sorry, I completely spaced that when I was originally typing this! You may want to consider something like Colombian Tetras, Congo Tetras, Giant Danios, or even Rainbows.

Pictus catfish are naturally a shoaling species as well but will do OK by themselves. You would either want just 1 or 3+, as if you just have 2 they tend to pick on eachother. As for Plecos, the majority should not eat your plants. I think a Bristlenose Pleco would do well, and will actually clean algae off the leaves of your plants.

As for other cichlids, I would definitely NOT add a Oscar or GT. A Firemouth should be just fine though. I would try and find one that is close to the size of your JD already or it might get picked on quite a bit. You may also want to re-arrange the tank a bit before adding the new additions to help curve aggression from your JD.

Good luck!
-Chris

135gal Central American Community

Updates and pics: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=237760
User avatar
CjCichlid
Moderator
 
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:31 am
Location: Indiana

Next

Return to Central American Cichlids

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: stalefish83 and 2 guests