Aquarium Setup • New tank transfer?

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

New tank transfer?

Postby derrick » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:34 pm

I have plans to get a bigger tank some time and when I do I would like it to be in the same spot I was wondering what is the best way of doing this should I put the old water into buckets then move everything? Then put the same water in the new tank? What to do with the fish while the transfer is being done? Any help would be greatly appreciated
derrick

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Steveboos » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:40 am

The water doesn't matter as much as the decorations and filter media. I would drain the tank as much as possible and then have all the decorations put in buckets, then go ahead and move tanks, re install decorations and new ones, then put on old filters and heaters and you are set!
125 Gallon Tank: FX5(w/ DIY Spraybar) and AC110
19x Pseudotropheus Demasoni, 20x Labidochromis Caeruleus, 4x Pseudotropheus Acei (Yellow Tail), 1 OB Peacock, 3 Bushynose Plecostomus (Ancistrus sp.)
Steveboos

Postby zimmy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:36 am

Steveboos wrote:The water doesn't matter as much as the decorations and filter media. I would drain the tank as much as possible and then have all the decorations put in buckets, then go ahead and move tanks, re install decorations and new ones, then put on old filters and heaters and you are set!

+1

Put the fish in buckets with tank water while setting up the new tank.

Fill the new tank up with clean dechlorinated water (but keep the temperature the same). There's no benefit to transferring the water from the old tank.
zimmy

Postby derrick » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:18 pm

thank you all
derrick

Postby PfunMo » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:46 pm

The only advantage to the old water is if you do some type of water treatment for PH/GH/KH before adding water and are not exact at getting the new and old water matched. Otherwise new water is fine.
PfunMo

Postby zimmy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:23 pm

PfunMo wrote:The only advantage to the old water is if you do some type of water treatment for PH/GH/KH before adding water and are not exact at getting the new and old water matched. Otherwise new water is fine.
I'm not sure "exact" is essential. You want to do your calculations based on the difference in the number of gallons and get it as close as you can but I don't think the fish are going to notice a slight difference if there is one.

You face the same risk every time you do a water change.
zimmy

Postby jnick » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:52 am

PfunMo wrote:The only advantage to the old water is if you do some type of water treatment for PH/GH/KH before adding water and are not exact at getting the new and old water matched. Otherwise new water is fine.

While yes, new water is fine, by using the old water, you are hanging on to some beneficial bacteria. Not nearly as much as in the sand/rock/filter but there still is some.
55G - Mbuna - Rena XP4 - Aqueon Pro 150W - Marineland Double Bright LED

125G - Peacocks/Haps - Fluval FX5 - Rena XP2 w/ TurboTwist 18w inline - Aqueon Pro 250W - 2x2 AquaticLife T5HO 10k & Actinic
jnick

Return to Aquarium Setup