Illness, Health & Nutrition • Fish not eating

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderators: Robin, GTZ

Fish not eating

Postby danielratti » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:48 pm

I just recently moved all my fish to a new place and maybe 3 of my fish are not eating now. the Lemon Jake was beat up fairly bad by my Protomelas Spilonotus Tanzania and now today he stopped eating along with my Kigoma frontosa. I put some of my new fish in the tank since they have been in quarantine for weeks now and they have been eating just fine. I am treating the whole tank with melafix to fix there fins and sores but I dont think either of them factor into them not eating. I did test the water and everything seems normal I will be testing it again today. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
danielratti

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby DJRansome » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:25 pm

Getting beat up causes stress and stress is a big contributor to illnesses like bloat that have a symptom of not eating. In my tank if I allow stress to be present for any length of time, my demasoni a guaranteed to get bloat.

Sounds like you have a stock mix that is not ideal as well which could also be causing stress.

Any other bloat symptoms? Check the new article about bloat in the Library. :thumb:
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby danielratti » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:54 pm

The thing is though this fish were in the same tank for the past 4 years no problem. Then I moved Wednesday and those 2 started fighting. Today those 2 that were fighting are swimming side by side with no problems. They are just not eating. The frontosa was eating some food from off the sand. Maybe they just aren't hungry. I figured it would take some time for them to settle in since they spent a couple hours in a cooler during the move.

I will look into the article on bloat.
danielratti

Postby DJRansome » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:06 pm

My fish died from one beating. He recovered from the beating, but then he got another illness and died of that.

Any time you move fish they have to re-establish territories, and that requires fighting. :thumb:

Did they eat at all, even one time since the move? And then stop after the fight?

Or have they not eaten at all since the move?

I'd put the Lemon Jake in a hospital tank so fins and scales can regrow.

The frontosa may just take longer to acclimate to the new tank especially given his more rambunctious tankmates.
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby danielratti » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:24 pm

Yeah they all ate up until today. I figured the smaller fish would of been the ones having more issues than the larger fish.

we are thinking of a place to put the jake right now.
danielratti

Postby DJRansome » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:57 pm

OK then the not eating is not because of needing to acclimate to the new tank.

Malawi are always hungry...if they don't eat they are holding sick or traumatized. We eliminated the first and last. :(
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby danielratti » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:32 pm

Yeah im going to put the jake in my girlfriends tank till he heals up. This hoping the Tanzania will calm down.
danielratti

Postby danielratti » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:59 am

Could the Tanzania not be eating because I did rearrange the tank on him and he is busy not trying to establish his new territory? He really has no signs of bloat he just isnt eating when i put the food in he seems to be getting it later off the ground. I feed NLS and Omega 1 mixed. He swims around the rocks and around the driftwood. The way he is acting is like there is a female in the tank actually.

Ill keep watching him closely. Is there anyway i could treat the whole tank for bloat?
danielratti

Postby GTZ » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:03 pm

You can treat the tank with metronidazole. Link in sig. I might try just epsom salt for a few days first and see if it does anything to get them eating. If not, proceed with the metro.
75G L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.) | Ps. demasoni | Met. greshakei
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby danielratti » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:14 pm

Thanks should I do water changes?
danielratti

Postby GTZ » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:30 pm

I would do daily, around 20-30%. Dose epsom in the replacement water before filling to maintain the salinity level.
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby danielratti » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:25 pm

Should I just use the Epsom and not worry about mixing it with the aquarium salt?
danielratti

Postby GTZ » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:13 pm

Just epsom, aquarium salt will have little to no effect.
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby danielratti » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:45 pm

Right, I've been sick and along to a fairly bad work related injury I've just been resting. But going out for the first time in weeks i got a young z-rock male im pumped about. Im just gunna put like 2 1/2 teaspoons in the tank and see if that helps. I did the 20 gallon and the lemon jake started to poop along with a couple other fish in the tank. Kinda weird how fast it works.
danielratti

Postby danielratti » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:39 pm

Should I be adding more salt than what I am adding? It wont hurt any right?
danielratti

Next

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition