Aquarium Setup • micro bubbles in silicone seam?!?

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

micro bubbles in silicone seam?!?

Postby quentin8 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:35 am

I got my new 50 gallon 48" tank set up about 18hrs ago. I have just noticed on one of the seams between the glass panes there are THOUSANDS of bubbles. They start about 2inchs from the bottom of the tank and go up to about an inch from the top. I called petsmarts 1-800 # and the guy I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about and told me it "should" be fine. My last tank had several but no where near this many. Im not sure if I should be worried or not? THanks sorry the pics are blury I couldnt get my cam to focus on it. If you blow them up you can see it a little better.
quentin8

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby fmueller » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:09 am

I can see nothing out of the ordinary in the photos. This is one of the rare occasions where I agree with a Petsmart employee - you should be fine. Seam failures of professionally manufactured tanks sold via chain stores are as rare as hen's teeth!
fmueller
Global Moderator

Postby quentin8 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:28 am

so the line of bubbles in the seam is fine. I shouldnt be worried? im not doubting you i just really dont want 50 gallons of water on my floor or my demasoni I've been growing out and collecting for the last 6 mnts to die. Thanks
quentin8

Postby GTZ » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:50 am

Perhaps take a look at some of the other tanks at the store.
75G L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.) | Ps. demasoni | Met. greshakei
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby quentin8 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:13 am

The store had 3 50 gallons all of them had a few tiny bubbles in the silicone the one I picked had the fewest. It wasnt till I filled it up and it sat for sometime before the the thousands of bubbles appeared.
quentin8

Postby GTZ » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:39 am

I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
75G L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.) | Ps. demasoni | Met. greshakei
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby jmlp3 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:16 am

Thats good to know, I have a similar concern as well on two of my seams in the back of my 150gall, and am happy to be reassured not to worry about it. So long has the tank is level, and the stand sturdy, you are ok.
jmlp3

Postby theoryguru » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:20 pm

jmlp3 wrote:Thats good to know, I have a similar concern as well on two of my seams in the back of my 150gall, and am happy to be reassured not to worry about it. So long has the tank is level, and the stand sturdy, you are ok.

Ditto - entire the tank is level and sturdy and yo're good to go.
I bought a Perfecto 125g and after the I filled it there were noticeable bubbles, stretches in the black silcone inching at the seam. I contacted Marineland and the brought photos to the LFS, all said it's normal and ok - so far so good :thumb:
theoryguru

Postby quentin8 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:29 pm

thanks guys
quentin8

Postby BillD » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:51 am

For what it's worth, I was looking at the first tank I built, back in the mid 60s when I was about 15. There are lots of bubbles 9some fairly large) in the seams, as I used a squeeze tube. It is still in use today.
BillD

Return to Aquarium Setup