Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Malawi based 220g tank with a few mixes, but need help!

806 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  123vb123 
#1 ·
Quite a mission eh?

So, *** started buying materials for the making of diy malawi mbuna based tank.
The problem is that my top priority fish, might not get along well, so, *** come to ask the forum if there is any chance, that my list could work. If not, then what would? Make the least changes so that YOU think this might work.

The priorities written below is not 3 different setups, it is 1 large comminity, that states what fish i would prefer to house at what priority.
The #1 prior is the fish i wanna build my tank around (and should therefor unless absolutely neccecary be re-edited), #2 is where the malawi society comes into play (why i am making a reef/rocky diy landscape in the tank, a few could be re-edited), and #3 is the color decoration and manifest of the tank (could be edited to other malawi-mbuna if other choices are available (optional))

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FIRST PRIOR #1
(Tgyika) Tropheus polli
(hab) Blue dolphin cichlid, lumphead cichlid//Cyrtocara moorii
(Mbuna)Electric yellow//Labidochromis caeruleus
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SECOND PRIOR #2
(Mbuna)Red zebra//Metriaclima estherae
(Mbuna)Demasoni//Pseudotropheus demasoni
(Mbuna)Blue Pindani//Pseudotropheus socolofi

THIRD PRIOR #3
(Mbuna)Rusty, lavender cichild//Iodotropheus sprengerae
(Mbuna)Blue johanni, Maingano//Melanochromis Johanni
(Mbuna)Midnight Demasoni//Pseudotropheus saulosi
(Mbuna)Red Top Zebra//Pseudotropheus zebra
(hab) Ahli, Electric Blue//Sciaenochromis fryeri

The tank is only for show (living room) and is not ment for breeding or housing a big bunch of fry.

The tank has a sump with a waterchange/clearing that would be similar to fx5+
I have several powerheads available, basically, i have everything available, so "flow, levels, etc, etc, etc" is not a problem.

Thank you all.

See less See more
#3 ·
Since you have demasoni and yellow labs, the saulosi aren't necessary.

You already get the colors and patterns with the other two. Be sure to get 20+ demasoni.

If you don't want that many, I'd scratch the labs and demasoni for the saulosi.

I don't have any advice for mixing the dolphins and fryeri with mbuna.

#6 ·
So this is what i have come down to if neccecary.
And is there any chance that the hab and the tgiyka will or will not work with the mbuna listed?
If not, would a combo without Moorii or Demasoni work?
The species listed below is my "mini-list" a few could be spared if needed.

Tropheus polli <---
Cyrtocara moorii <---

Labidochromis caeruleus
Pseudotropheus demasoni
Pseudotropheus socolofi
Pseudotropheus zebra

#8 ·
DJRansome said:
How long is the tank? I'm not sure about the tropheus and moorii.

If that works, labs should be OK.

Maybe someone can chime in about tropheus and moorii.
Thats what i was hoping. The tank is about 180cm long which is about 75" i think.

Tropheus and moorii is my big question too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.