DIY - Projects & Ideas • Power vac

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Power vac

Postby Mr.Dempsey » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:15 pm

Ok so i saw someone do this awhile ago and well it looks like a good idea the only thing is I dont know of a powerhead that would work, got any ideas??

Too many fish, to little space.
Mr.Dempsey

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby PfunMo » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:36 pm

I've tried a few different ideas using powerheads but I find they are not as good as expected. Some have worked but with problems. My first was a powerhead with a simple filter added to the intake. Using a soda bottle to hold filter floss, it worked but reguired frequent, daily cleaning. the powerhead didn't have the power to continue working with even a small amount of debris collected.
My best effort has been using a whole house filter tied to a pump outside the tank and running the outlet back into the tank. Works okay. Something like a portable canister filter but a pain to get started and the filter stops up a bit quick when vacing sand and is a pain to clean.

The current try is in use but I'm undecided about the value. I'm working on the theory that I could set a filter on the intake behind rock decor. Making the intake filter large enough to not stop up too quickly. Works okay but the fish keep the intake filter knocked off so that debris gets in and stops the impeller. I'm in need of a filter that will set down solidly but be easy to remove/replace without removing the pump. Needs more work!
PfunMo

Postby PfunMo » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:39 pm

Sorry, I just took a second look at your drawing and noticed something. With the filter on the output side, there is a chance of sucking debris and sand into the impeller. This will stop the impeller or sand may ruin it requiring replacement. I think the filter will have to be on the input before the impeller???
PfunMo

Postby Mr.Dempsey » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:35 pm

so I've come up with an idea that will work
It uses the same siphon idea that the python water changer dose by useing the out going water from the power head to create a siphon to drive the vac hose and cone
Too many fish, to little space.
Mr.Dempsey

Postby iwade4fish » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:28 pm

Nice!!
iwade4fish

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas