Aquarium Setup • rate the the tank above you!!!

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

Postby rck1984 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:23 pm

JimA wrote:RCK1984

I give that a very solid 9!!

Looks like it needs some sand space though, maybe be to many shells or deep enough sand? I don't know much about those though.

Overall great job!

Here's mine for a bump of a fantastic thread!! Keep it going guys.

Multifasciatus does not like sand. I see many people adding sand because they like the moving of the sand the multi's do. I had many conversations about this. In the original habitat they live in, they live on a huge bottom of empty Neothauma snail shells. They never get to see sand.

Anyway thanks for the nice words! I actually really like the tank you showed. Not too crowded and a nice layer of green algae, great! :thumb:

9/10
rck1984

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby j2m2t2 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:44 pm

Rhinox wrote:sheesh I'm going to remember page 150 of this thread - the page where every single tank posted is FRICKIN' AMAZING!

:dancing: 10's to you all :dancing:

:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

:popcorn:

:thumb:
j2m2t2

Postby Charden » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:17 pm

strat guy wrote:6, sorry, but I can't stand aquarium ornaments... :D

The blackwater dims the tank so much its super hard to get a decent shot! Stock list is in the sig.

@Cjcichlid- I hear ya! Too many african setups!

I give it a solid 9. Love the red look.
Here is my Tang setup
Charden

Postby lilcountrygal » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:23 am

Charden wrote:

The blackwater dims the tank so much its super hard to get a decent shot! Stock list is in the sig.

I give it a solid 9. Love the red look.
Here is my Tang setup

Solid 9. LOVE the background!

Here's mine.... 55 gallon African Mbuna.. Rustys, Zebras, yellow labs.

55 G - AC110 and AquaTech 30/60 ~ 5 yellow Labs, 5 Callainos, 5 Callainos Blueberry, 5 Rusty
125 G - XP4 and AquaTop CF-500UV - 5 Pseudotropheus Williamsi North, 5 Labeotropheus Fuelleborni, 4 Lab. Hongi, 4 C. Moori, 1 Acei Ngara, Red Empress, Venustus
lilcountrygal

Postby CjCichlid » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:02 am

Ah, another American! :D Love the blackwater look! All it needs is a black background.

To take more "true to life" pics, try turning off all the lights in the room (which it looks like you did) and then lowering the exposure compensation. Not sure what kind of camera you are using but this can be done multiple ways.
-Chris

135gal Central American Community

Updates and pics: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=237760
CjCichlid

Postby strat guy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:59 pm

CjCichlid wrote:
Ah, another American! :D Love the blackwater look! All it needs is a black background.

To take more "true to life" pics, try turning off all the lights in the room (which it looks like you did) and then lowering the exposure compensation. Not sure what kind of camera you are using but this can be done multiple ways.

Yeah, all the lights were turned off, my exposure was set to neutral. I have to keep my shutter open longer because even with the aquarium lights on, the blackwater really does darken the tank a ton. With a faster shutter setting I just couldn't get anything in the tank to show up. Even this is dark, I think.

You think black would look good for a background? I was looking at painting it but thought maybe dark brown might be better. I'm afraid of black being too "solid."
strat guy

Postby CjCichlid » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Ah gotcha, I'm still experimenting with taking pics myself. I am only using a Cannon point and shoot so unfortunately I'm not capturing anything to stellar. I can however change the shutter speed, ISO, and F-stop which is nice.

You make a good point about a solid black background... With the blackwater effect, black may look a bit weird. A darker brown or even maybe a brownish/red or dark green may look good. I would paint a piece of poster board with a few different colors then choose the one you like best. It would suck to paint the back then not be happy with it. :roll:
-Chris

Updates and pics: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=237760
CjCichlid

Postby Woodworm » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:08 pm

CjCichlid wrote:Ah gotcha, I'm still experimenting with taking pics myself. I am only using a Cannon point and shoot so unfortunately I'm not capturing anything to stellar. I can however change the shutter speed, ISO, and F-stop which is nice.

You make a good point about a solid black background... With the blackwater effect, black may look a bit weird. A darker brown or even maybe a brownish/red or dark green may look good. I would paint a piece of poster board with a few different colors then choose the one you like best. It would suck to paint the back then not be happy with it. :roll:

+1 :thumb: I love the idea of doing the poster board it should work fabulously for anyone wanting to change their background
Woodworm

Postby oldsrocket » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:17 pm

A while back I told my daughter that if she got good grades and did her chores she would earn an aquarium of her own. She loves my Oscars and wanted one of her own so I told her she had to earn it. She's worked hard, her grades have improved, and for the most part she does what she's asked without too much complaining...lol

This is her first one. I found it on Craigslist for $60 and it included everything needed to set it back up fairly quickly...including the fish. Its a 4ft 55 gallon.

Go easy on her, she's only 11. I've already warned her about the fake plants. I let her set most of it up herself.

There are 6 African Cichlids and one fry. There's also 2 small Plecos.

At the moment, this is the only one I can get a picture of. The rest scatter when I approach the tank.
oldsrocket

Postby CjCichlid » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:20 pm

+1 Thumb I love the idea of doing the poster board it should work fabulously for anyone wanting to change their background

I had meant to use the poster board just for reference, then paint the back but you could use poster board for the length of the tank. I actually use felt and velcro it to the back. Works great! :thumb:
-Chris

CjCichlid

Postby Woodworm » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:25 pm

For a kids tank I will give it a solid 8. I hope she doesn't get to attached to the plecos because if they both are like the one you got a shot of they will get way to big for a 55 solo much less a pair so they will have to be rehomed at some point
Woodworm

Postby lilcountrygal » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:41 pm

Resubmitting mine, I think it got lost in the mix :)

Image[/quote]
55 G - AC110 and AquaTech 30/60 ~ 5 yellow Labs, 5 Callainos, 5 Callainos Blueberry, 5 Rusty
125 G - XP4 and AquaTop CF-500UV - 5 Pseudotropheus Williamsi North, 5 Labeotropheus Fuelleborni, 4 Lab. Hongi, 4 C. Moori, 1 Acei Ngara, Red Empress, Venustus
lilcountrygal

Postby S14Swap240sx » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:45 pm

8 stones are great
S14Swap240sx

Postby Rhinox » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:17 am

lilcountrygal wrote:Resubmitting mine, I think it got lost in the mix :)

[/quote]

:thumb: looks really great.

Hey some of those fish look familiar :P
Rhinox

Postby lilcountrygal » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:26 am

looks really great.

Hey some of those fish look familiar

LOL... Those guys are the personality of the tank!! I could watch them for HOURS. I just added them right before this picture was taken (been in quarantine until I had an ich outbreak taken care of). I have been dying to see them swimming around the main tank. Mama is my new favorite, only cause I thought she was a goner :D
lilcountrygal

PreviousNext

Return to Aquarium Setup